Had a Pond Visitor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This critter was in my pond this morning. I fairly commonly see box turtles around on the property, but this is the first time I've seen one in the water. I thought box turtles liked to live near water, but not IN the water. Strange.

turtle.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very cool. A good soak helps them hydrate as well as temperature regulation I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Keep an eye on him. While box turtles do like to (need to) live near water, and definitely have a good soak now & again, it's not 'normal' for them to **stay** in the water for a long time. We had one a couple years back who showed up & stayed IN the pond for several days, at which point she started showing symptoms of respiratory illness so we took her to a wildlife rehab (sadly she ended up passing away) I could only assume that she took to the water because she wasn't feeling well & it made her more comfortable? Anyway, if he doesn't move on within a day, just keep an eye out for other unusual symptoms that he might be sick.

Ask a Question