water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Out today 6 hours pulling lilies

All in oil pans. Grabbed one, it pulled 7 with it. Huge root mass, huge tubers, huge amount of muck, litter etc.

Cut the roots, cut the tuber, haul the root mass out. What a job

SO. Next spring I am turning them loose. I did it in my 1000 gallon pond about 5 years back. Maybe more. The lilies grow great, flower beautifully, pond not filling up with muck ect.

I know way down the road they will be a headache for somebody, not me. Most likely a new owner will fill the ponds in.

Life is getting complicated, hubby requiring a lot more of my time. It won't get better, just worse.

SO LILY FREEDOM!

I am going to put the aggressive growers deeper, the others where ever. Would do it this year, just might, most likely not.
I do have some healthy tubers I will pass along to somebody.
Iris getting way cut back, will have iris tubers to pass along.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Out today 6 hours pulling lilies

All in oil pans. Grabbed one, it pulled 7 with it. Huge root mass, huge tubers, huge amount of muck, litter etc.

Cut the roots, cut the tuber, haul the root mass out. What a job

SO. Next spring I am turning them loose. I did it in my 1000 gallon pond about 5 years back. Maybe more. The lilies grow great, flower beautifully, pond not filling up with muck ect.

I know way down the road they will be a headache for somebody, not me. Most likely a new owner will fill the ponds in.

Life is getting complicated, hubby requiring a lot more of my time. It won't get better, just worse.

SO LILY FREEDOM!

I am going to put the aggressive growers deeper, the others where ever. Would do it this year, just might, most likely not.
I do have some healthy tubers I will pass along to somebody.
Iris getting way cut back, will have iris tubers to pass along.
Can't say that I blame you at all for doing this! Will be so much easier for you. I couldn't do that w/my fish pond as it is too small so I took them all out and only have the one lily you gave me in my frog pond. That's shallow so no trouble dealing w/it in there. Just need to remember to fertilize it next year so it will bloom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have to admit I don't miss grooming my water lilies ! My last year with the pond I had the most beautiful lily blooms but gosh was it work, trimming them planting in new kitty litter and fertilizing them a lot since we didn't have fish.

I say go for it @addy1 enjoy your lily freedom :)

Ask a Question