Growth in water

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an outdoor fountain. Earlier this year, there was a murky, tannish growth in the water which covered the pump, the side of the fountain and the top plate where the water is pumped out and will bubble. The fountain was taken apart, cleaned, and a new pump was installed. That growth is now coming back, I’ve attached a photo. Does anyone recognize what this is or is any assistance available re: what can be done? Birds use this fountain for bathing and drinking so I have been avoiding the use of chemicals other than white vinegar. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 14

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

My guess would be algae. Other than not looking pretty, it causes no harm. As long as you add fresh water periodically, it will stay safe for the birds. You could add an algaecide, but not sure if that is wildlife friendly. Sun exposure makes it worse.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Frogs hello22.gif
and welcome @pascoag1228
What is that made of, looks like concrete? Not sure what that stuff is in there. Is it slimy to the touch? You could turn the fountain off and dose it w/something to kill off whatever it is. Cover the fountain w/netting or something to keep out the wildlife first of course. Also I think the food friendly hydrogen peroxide w/the low percentage in grocery stores could keep the gunk away if it is some kind of algae. It won't hurt the wildlife at low doses. Just add it every now and then to keep the stuff away.
I just found this site on the net that tells you all about how to do it: https://crittercleanout.com/hydrogen-peroxide-birdbath/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not just scrub it off and refill it?

I agree that it looks like algae and it will keep coming back. The sun and warm and wet conditions are perfect for algae growth. It won't harm the birds, but it may not be what you want to see in your fountain.

Keeping it clean is just normal maintenance in my opinion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Why not just scrub it off and refill it?

I agree that it looks like algae and it will keep coming back. The sun and warm and wet conditions are perfect for algae growth. It won't harm the birds, but it may not be what you want to see in your fountain.

Keeping it clean is just normal maintenance in my opinion.
Guess it depends on how soon the gunk comes back. If it takes awhile than cleaning it might not be a bad idea but if it happens quite fast than what a pain. I am older and always look for the easiest solution that won't harm anything. Some here swear by using the hydrogen peroxide method on their waterfalls and etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Peroxide works to kill the algae, but the dead growth still has to be scrubbed off. At least it does on my waterfall.

Some people have some success with regularly dosing the water with peroxide after the algae has been cleaned off to prevent it coming back but I've not had much luck with that. Maybe I'm not using the correct dosage.

It might be more successful in the water of a fountain. It's a good idea and would definitely be worth trying to prevent its coming back. But, in my opinion, what is there still needs to be scrubbed off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and help!

The mystery, per se, here is definitely within frequency. I’ve had this fountain (it is made of concrete as one noted above) and never had this problem until this year. So, first go around I emptied, scrubbed, replaced the pump, and refilled. Now, within six weeks. it’s back. I thought, perhaps, a soak with a mix of water and bleach may help but I’m uncertain of the porous properties of the material(s)—so, I wouldn’t want to risk that some chemicals could remain.

Another consideration—my back doesn’t take too kindly to moving this (even tipping it to empty—it’s incredibly heavy even sans water) with any frequency as the result of a serious back injury many years ago. As that injury ages, so am I—which doesn’t help my cause. 🤭

It is also very slimy. Some of the pieces that first became evident reminded me of bracket fungi—though these pieces were small. But they were definitely not firm—very mushy. Since the fountain has been dry and receiving a lot of sunlight since yesterday, it looks like nothing more than some dusty dirt, now that the environment that was allowing it to thrive is gone.

Is algae borne from a spore as mold is? Perhaps it wasn’t cleaned as thoroughly that first go some weeks back??

Thank you, again!!

Ask a Question