Greenish water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am providing a link to a video I made of my water feature project in New Hampshire. I have made advancements in the rocking of the stream since I did this video recently. The water clarity is a greenish cloudy in the lower pond. I used my pool vacuum this week and the bottom and rocks are covered with decomposing material. My skimmer is not operational yet. Would you expect the water to be clearer in the lower pond once I get the skimmer going? Its a pretty large skimmer, and the pump is a 65oo gph capacity...probably 5500 given the head height and distance. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good morning! If this a fairly new water feature, I think this is completely normal. I am a fan of a good skimmer/intake bay in general. Also, if you are planning to have plants and fish in here, that will help establish a good ecosystem, which will eventually give you less green water. This is going to be really nice!
Keep in mind, too, that if you are having a hot summer like so many of us, the sun and excessive heat play a part in algae growth, too.
Patience is one of the most important parts of pond keeping.
It's looking wonderful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I feel confident I'm on the right track but your input is appreciated. Right now I plan to add plants and ice landscaping. No fish planned but I made the lower pond about 40 inches deep in one area so any future home owner can put fish in if they desire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hopefully @GBBUDD will see this. He has a wealth of knowledge and enjoys helping everyone! I bet he would have some good thoughts and tips!

Ask a Question