Green water and new bog filter, additives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like to get people thoughts on using additives for green water in a new pond and bog filter.

I think in time when the plants have established the bog will be well good enough to keep the water clean, but at the moment with hot weather and new (small) plants in the bog, I've got green water.

After 2 weeks of running the pond the water is slightly clearer but has a long way to go.

So should I be patient and wait for the plants to grow, ( and colder days), or add additives for green water to the pond? will the additives effect the bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
even with a rdf the green water appears because there is zero =established bacterial colonies let alone any microbial creatures or worms in the bog yet . it won't take long for the green water to go away but then comes the string algae . keep feedings light until you get established

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keep feedings light until you get established
Not sure what you mean by this. I don't have a UV in the system, the only place I have room for one is in the rdf, but i was hoping the bog would be enough to remove the green water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The bog “removes” the green water the same way any other plant in the pond does - by outcompeting it. The plants need time to get established and the magic will happen. The other advantage the bog provides is a home for all the bug-a-boos that will help consume all the excess nutrients in your water that are allowing the single cell algae to grow.

Long story short - yes. Patience. But you may also want to consider if you have too many fish, are overfeeding or need even more plants. Nature will get there eventually but you can help the process along.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bog “removes” the green water the same way any other plant in the pond does - by outcompeting it. The plants need time to get established and the magic will happen. The other advantage the bog provides is a home for all the bug-a-boos that will help consume all the excess nutrients in your water that are allowing the single cell algae to grow.

Long story short - yes. Patience. But you may also want to consider if you have too many fish, are overfeeding or need even more plants. Nature will get there eventually but you can help the process along.
It's a new pond with only a few fish. We have had exceptionally hot days for a few weeks, it was as we were planting the bog, so water went green even before all the plants went in. We could plant more, we have over 30 plants in now with a lot of room to grow.

Ask a Question