Green Water & Ammonia In Pond...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All...

My 2000 gallon Koi pond ( New Jersey ) is about 5 years old, and overstocked, largest koi about 15" long, the rest are smaller.

Had a huge algae problem... installed a 60 watt uv lamp.

The Green Pond Turned Into a brown pond ( dead algae ).

Had a old above ground pool sand filter given to me, so I Installed it In line with the pump / waterfall.

The sand in the filter trapped all the debris, but the brown dead algae passed straight through, apparently the brown dead algae was too small to be trapped.

I read someplace that Zeolite crystals ( sold in pool supply stores ) was capable of trapping much smaller particles, so I replaced the sand with zeolite.

The zeolite trapped EVERYTHING, including the brown dead algae, and the water is now crystal for over 5 months.

Added bonus... undetectable ammonia levels for 5 months despite overstocked pond.

I have an automated sensor to back flush the filter when the waterfall flow drops below 70% to clean the debris from the zeolite, and I think the flushing is also removing the absorbed ammonia from the zeolite ( not sure ).

Don't know if this system will help any one ... but It sure keeps my pond clean.

Best Regards,

Liam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did not know that!

Tractor Supply just down the road, Thanks.

Liam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Glad to hear you found a "solution" however... (you all know what's coming)... the problem still exists. You know what it is, and unless you deal with that you will face bigger issues down the road. It's called "overstocked" for a reason. The issues you're addressing - green water, unwanted algae, ammonia - are not caused by a lack of zeolite. They're caused by too much biomass in your pond. You will lose that battle eventually, unless you constantly add more filtration. And even then I wonder about the effects of living in an overstocked pond and the stress it could cause your fish. I know I don't enjoy being in places that are crowded or congested, even temporarily. You're walking on a tightrope in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also wonder about the effect that eliminating ammonia will have on the beneficial bacteria. That bacteria needs ammonia to live on. If you do away with the ammonia, it seems to me that your bacteria will die.

I realize that the ammonia is constantly being created in the pond. So to keep it in check would there also have to be a regular dosing of zeolite? How long does it last?

Last edited:

Ask a Question