Goldfish seems fine but looks weird

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, one of my fish seems a bit out of it. She has been huge and bulky for a couple of years. She's old, maybe 15 so might be on her way out. Can be lovely and sweep the surface of.
IMG_20240819_184212778.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, but sorry for the reason that brought you here.

Based on this picture, its condition isn't healthy looking. The distended abdomen isn't symmetrical as we might see in an egg bound female, plus you say she's been this way for a couple years.

Her eyes are also bulging. Honestly I don't know what is wrong with her, but if she's been this way for awhile and she seems comfortable I'd let her be and continue to observe her for any changes.

I'm sure someone with more goldfish experience will be along.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
owly.gif
and welcome @GeorgeM
I have had a very few of these and the fish just go about there time left eating and seeming to enjoy living still. They can live for several yrs like that. Nothing I know can be done for them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 165145and welcome @GeorgeM
I have had a very few of these and the fish just go about there time left eating and seeming to enjoy living still. They can live for several yrs like that. Nothing I know can be done for them.
Thanks, she seems happy enough, rests often but cruises around the pond, sometimes surfing the water. Just such an odd shape and the constant mouth movements.

Ask a Question