Gold fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I put a gold fish from a pond into a aquarium? Do I use tap water for the tank? And what do I feed them? Step by step instructions please. Ty

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/acclimating-aquarium-fish-1381257 I usually use a bucket and add water from the tank.

Tap water works, use water conditioner to remove chlorine or chloramines instantly, if not on a well.

Goldfish food, I use pellets and flakes, depending on the size of the fish. Assuming you have a filter for the tank also?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/acclimating-aquarium-fish-1381257 I usually use a bucket and add water from the tank.

Tap water works, use water conditioner to remove chlorine or chloramines instantly, if not on a well.

Goldfish food, I use pellets and flakes, depending on the size of the fish. Assuming you have a filter for the tank also?

Thank you for the advice. And yes, I will be getting a filter as well as all other necessary things for the tank. Oh by the way, it's a 10 gallon tank. How many should I get?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Daisy bug.gif
@Katrina

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

In a aquarium, each gold fish needs 20 gallons of water to thrive. Sorry, but a 10 gallon tank is not big enough for even one goldfish. You could get away with it for a little while if the fish are very small, but they will soon outgrow that tank.

Have you considered smaller fish like guppies? They come in many different colors and breed readily. They are easy fish to have.

Whatever type of fish you decide on, it's a good idea to do a fishless cycle before you add any fish. Just Google "aquarium fishless cycle" and you will find all the information you need.

Also, please learn about the nitrogen cycle. It's very important to know how that works with your tank.

Ask a Question