Fountain vs Filter vs Aerator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a sheep trough that we started using as a pond last year and so far we've added plenty of plants such as a lily, iris's and floating oxygenators too. We have just had a clear out of all the muck at the bottom and tidied up all the dead bits on the plants. We would like to encourage wildlife into the garden as well for our daughter.

I was wondering if anyone could offer us advice on the differences between using fountain, filter and aerator pumps in order to keep the water clear, the duckweed at bay and mosquitos away?

Thanks in advance :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Tell us more and show photo's of how big, what kind of exact material of your pond. In ground or buried? If it is fish safe material you could add a few fish that would take care of the mosquito's and give fertilizer to your plants. They love to eat Duckweed too! Sometimes fountain's clog up easy but there are ways to stop that. We do need more info tho on your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the pond is roughly 208 litres based on the dimensions of 38cm x 122cm x 45cm. It is not in the ground as you can see from the pics but is up against a fence in a fairly shaded spot so does not get too hot hopefully. We believe that it is made from steel and we have lined with regular pond liner.

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_163655.jpg
    IMG_20230525_163655.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230525_163627.jpg
    IMG_20230525_163627.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 17

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So about 55 gals for us in the U.S. Since you have a liner you could put a few fish in there, like goldfish or Shubunkin goldfish which are really pretty. That would take care of the skeeters and they love Duckweed, maybe a bit too much. I'd put a small filter in there. I like Laguna brand myself. They have net bags now that you can put your filter inside of to stop clogging. Can use it w/a fountain also but a filter would be more for keeping your pond cleaner. Does it get some sun as the plants will like the sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice j.w :)

I've been wondering if I could get some fish in there eventually but was worried about keeping them happy.

I have seen bits by Laguna so will do some more research

The pond gets some morning sun and most of the plants seem happy enough but we put it near the back of the garden as were worried about the metal heating up too much in our south facing garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i' would probably go old school if you want to promote wild life. i'd go with the good old plastic box filled with cotton and carbon . yes this will require some work on your part . but air will not chop up dragon fly larvae or copepods. but the moving water from the air is all you need to keep mosquitos at bay. You'll have to change the filter regularly probably once a week in the spring / pollen. But in the summer etc once a month and the air will double up as a pond breather come winter. but in the winter lift the air so its just below the surface. filter is then optional.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i' would probably go old school if you want to promote wild life. i'd go with the good old plastic box filled with cotton and carbon . yes this will require some work on your part . but air will not chop up dragon fly larvae or copepods. but the moving water from the air is all you need to keep mosquitos at bay. You'll have to change the filter regularly probably once a week in the spring / pollen. But in the summer etc once a month and the air will double up as a pond breather come winter. but in the winter lift the air so its just below the surface. filter is then optional.
Sorry but I'm a bit confused so here come the stupid questions... does the box need a bunch of holes in it? Do I need to run some kind of pump through it too?

I'd love some dragonflies so anything to encourage them would be great? We had one randomly fly into the house the other day and had to help it get back out!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would hesitate to put goldfish in there unless they are the smaller types like fantails. The others get fairly large and reproduce worse than rabbits. Your little pond would be quickly overstocked.

Maybe some smaller fish, but I don't know which ones would be able to handle your winter temps.

As stated earlier, moving water should deter the mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree no gold fish put some corney glow fish in there so kids can find them.

By plastic box I mean the basic of basic carbon filter from the aquarium trade. Nothing but carbon,/ charcoal and filter floss.

Ask a Question