Fountain at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me if I need to keep the fountain on all night in my pond as well as the filter or can the fountain be turned off ? Would it be better to take head off the fountain and just have a more stronger bubbled water rather than sprinkle water from fountain?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Need depends on your setup. It would be better for the circulation and oxygenation of the water if it was on. Are you having issues with it? I had a fountain I did not keep because my pond is smallish and wind gusts would blow water over the edge. I took the head off like you mentioned, probably a little less aeration but I did not lose water anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need depends on your setup. It would be better for the circulation and oxygenation of the water if it was on. Are you having issues with it? I had a fountain I did not keep because my pond is smallish and wind gusts would blow water over the edge. I took the head off like you mentioned, probably a little less aeration but I did not lose water anymore.
m not having that much of a problem losing water,yet. Winter time could be a problem.I was just wondering if it was necessary.I’m new to this and finding my feet 1 stupid question at a time 😉Thanks for your help.Would swapping fountain for an aerator be better in winter/ windy conditions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when temps get below 20 for prolonged days then you need to pay attention as at minus temps can cause BIG problems

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If the fountain is in addition to the filter, then it may be not be needed. A lot depends on the size of your pond and how it is set up. A really big pond may not need any aeration, or much filtration at all. A really tiny pond will need all the aeration it can get, as the surface area won't be large enough to oxygenate the water for fish (assuming you have fish in there). A mid-sized pond of, say 2,000 liters could probably get by quite well with just the moving water from the filter as aeration.

For example, my set up is around 4,000 liters plus-minus, and has no filtration other than the plants in the pond, and no aeration aside from a stream and waterfall. It will eventually have a wetland filter, but that won't add much in terms of aeration.

When the weather is really hot, more aeration is needed, regardless of the pond's size, particularly if the air is still.

I don't live in an area that gets snow or freezes (at least not anymore) but others on the forum can better advise you there.

Ask a Question