Fish manically swimming in circles trying to reach surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1 year old pond fish who is manically swimming around in circles, trying to reach the surface, has a curvature to its body now, circling with a lean. Been doing this for a 3-4 weeks. Have tried to take fish out into separate container, treat it for suspected swim bladder disease (starving it for 3 days and trying to feed it cooked pea) but it didn't eat peas; sat at bottom of container most of the time and then had spurts of darting to the surface and half out of water (we did have a water pump running). All other fish in pond are fine.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?

Sadly I dont seem to be able to upload video or pictures to help diagnostic.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Can you give us some more information about your pond? How big is it and how many fish do you have (what kind of fish is it, BTW?)? Do say you DID have a pond pump running…..but is running now?

Without any more information, 2 things come to mind. Parasites can make fish act in an irratic manner. Is this the only fish acting this way? Also, an electric shock has been known to cause the spine to bend.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I forget, the fish is also circling with head more upright than tail. Pond is approximately 4.4m x 2.4m. Approx 14 fish, most of small to medium size with 3 large fish. Sorry, inherited them, so dont know kind, other than some black fantail type, numerous orange, yellow or mixed colour medium size, 1 large koi and 2 large fish that generally stay at the bottom of the pond. Pump always running in pond and a pump was always running in the container that hosted the single fish. This is the only fish acting in this way. He was straight in the tank so looks odd he is now doing this when back in the pond. I've attached an image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 16.05.54.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 16.05.54.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Frogs hello22.gif
and welcome @Trumpton
Not sure what could be wrong but I have had fish that bloat, don't swim right and have curved spines and as long as they are eating and swimming around I just leave them be. Some have lived for years this way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like lack of o2 .

But also sounding like too many fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been watching the fish this evening and it seems to be swimming manically in circles to get to the surface but as soon as it stops swimming, it sinks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Been watching the fish this evening and it seems to be swimming manically in circles to get to the surface but as soon as it stops swimming, it sinks.
Sounds worse than the ones I have had w/similar issues. I think it may be a goner soon. Mine all could swim and eat and did not sink like that.
Here is a site I found, it's for aquariums but still could help to figure out what it might be: https://pondinformer.com/goldfish-sitting-at-bottom-of-tank/

Ask a Question