Fish #2 and nitrates

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A few decades ago in my pre pond days I was concerned about getting the solid waste out of the system as soon as possible to reduce the rate at which nitrates built up.

As I recall it turned out that it did not make a noticeable difference if the filter pads were rinsed daily or weekly. But that was a long time ago. Has anyone researched this?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, but I've always been anal about solids. (OMG!! Absolutely NO pun intended!!!)

Would be very interested in knowing more about this.

Reaction score
I would guess it would depend what made up the solids, and what are your goals. I have a lot of solids in our pond right now, water is fairly muddy looking, and the water tests at near or zero for nitrates/phosphates (read that to mean in the right light, at the right angle, there may be a slight change to the nitrate color result, but still well below "1").... Hubby got another filter on line last night (needs adjustments, he ran out of time), but after an hour last night, it had pulled crap ... flushed it again this morning, and a lot of crap was removed ...

Reaction score
Ok... so about poo;-)

I seriously have no input on this, as I am confused as to WHY our 750 QT in the basement has no nitrates... High fish load for water volume, and about 1.5 cups of food daily ... lots of poo ... no plants, so they cant get the credit for helping ...

Ask a Question