Finally have frogs!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I built my pond about 20 years ago mostly because I wanted frogs. Not one frog. Ive maintained around 10 goldfish. Some are 12-15 years old now. Pond is about 4 x 7 and 3 feet deep. Anyway this year I finally have frogs. I sealed it so its deeper and theres more sun so it turned a bit green for the first time. First one then two, now four, within about three weeks. Any thoughts on why they finally showed up? There are no near by ponds, closest is atleast a .5 mile away. Southern NY state. Green frogs.

Thanks!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on finally getting your frogs. I usually have some appear after a good rain, they tend to travel then. But at only 1/2 mile from a source surprised you have not had some sooner, unless it is difficult terrain or a really good home base.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU MAY HAVE SOME PREDITORS OR HAD in your area. ive had frogs but only a dozen or so and they always seemed to be smaller with a single big bull frog or two. Always had a red tail hawk sitting on a perch over the pond and it seems he did a better job keeping the population under control than i thought. Since i added wires over heard even the hawk is not hanging around. and the noise at night is perfect, it reminds me of my child hood. Even during the day here in July they are calling out all day long.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, and congratulations!

I plan to make one of these! It’s a froggy hotel made from PVC pipe!

IMG_0247.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
YOU MAY HAVE SOME PREDITORS OR HAD in your area. ive had frogs but only a dozen or so and they always seemed to be smaller with a single big bull frog or two. Always had a red tail hawk sitting on a perch over the pond and it seems he did a better job keeping the population under control than i thought. Since i added wires over heard even the hawk is not hanging around. and the noise at night is perfect, it reminds me of my child hood. Even during the day here in July they are calling out all day long.
That’s an interesting theory. I’m not sure. I have seen any predators around the pond. There’s a lot of raccoons around here and I’m sure they are in there pretty often. I’m sure they love frogs. I’d love a bull frog too, we will see. If they breed will the fish eat the frog eggs or tadpoles? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on finally getting your frogs. I usually have some appear after a good rain, they tend to travel then. But at only 1/2 mile from a source surprised you have not had some sooner, unless it is difficult terrain or a really good home base.
Thanks! I just can’t figure out why they suddenly appeared. One theory I have is that I redid my pond with concrete (dog chewed the liner) and now there are better places frogs to sit along the edges instead of the steep walls I had before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That’s an interesting theory. I’m not sure. I have seen any predators around the pond. There’s a lot of raccoons around here and I’m sure they are in there pretty often. I’m sure they love frogs. I’d love a bull frog too, we will see. If they breed will the fish eat the frog eggs or tadpoles? Thanks!
NO they may ea some eggs unknowingly but i have not seen them actively munching frog eggs

Ask a Question