Filtration conundrum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new at koi pond stewardship. My home came with an 8' x 16' concrete pond that did not have any plumbing or filtration. Its deepest point is around 2.5'. I estimate the total is around 1500 gallons. I put in a pressurized Pondmaster 4000 filter with 2" PVC pipes and 1800 gph in-pond pump. There is also a Aqua UV 80W sterilizer following the filter. Yesterday, the filter head broke for the third time. That's the thing on top that you turn to select filter, backwash, or rinse. Its expensive to fix and I am not inclined to continue to use this filter, as it does not do a decent job, perhaps not enough filtration for the fish load. There's about a dozen koi and at least two dozen large comets. (I know, overstocked pond, but the comets I hope to give away soon.) I have decided to replace the filter and start anew.

Here's my question: what kind of filter should I put in its place? Another pressurized filter? A DIY bio filter? Some other solution?

Pressurized filters are expensive and I'm afraid of being burned by one not handling the load and breaking down. I've read about DIY bio filters, but can it handle my pond's needs?

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Thank you,
Filter-less in Seattle

Reaction score
Go with a stock tank filter. It will be big enough to support that size pond. We've got a bunch of ideas on our DIY forum to help you with the step by steps.

PS3

Reaction score
yes build your own 55 gallon drum bio filter they are really easy to build.
i was going to buy one of them pressure filters but people told me they where
not good and they leak so i followed koiguy 1969 plans for the 55 gallon drum
and itworked out great good luck and keep up posted

Reaction score
I'm not anxious to blow $1500 on a pressurized filter that fails yet again. A friend built a 55 gallon drum bio filter and I'm going to take a look at how his next weekend. I'm going that route, either way. Thank you for the feedback. I feel better knowing the build your own approach is best.

Reaction score
I am currenly making the stock tank - it really is not that difficult to build. (Especially since I am watching my husband) lol but with Koikeeprs advice and directions - I think I am in the right direction.
I am looking forward to eliminating my pressurized filter too.

Ask a Question