Filter for Pond and Waterfall Algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is such a basic question, but I can’t seem to figure it out. I have a 4ft x 6ft, 1-2fr deep pond with a waterfall feature. The pump sits in the pond, and sends water to a spillway. Despite making sure to run the pump most of the day, and treating with an algae inhibiting product, algae has been building up.

I think I need a filter, but I am unsure where to put it. I would assume there is something made to put in the reservoir of this waterfall spillway, but unsure. Also, would that be enough, as the water isn’t forced through it, per se?

Any help appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have fish in the pond? If you do, the pump needs to run 24/7, not just for most of the day.

What type of algae are you dealing with? String algae is usually dealt with by removing it by hand. A brush is effective and I use a toilet brush designated for this job. The algae can be wound around the brush and pulled out of the pond.

Most here don't recommend using algaecides, especially if there are fish. There have been several people come here after adding algaecide and have a pond full of dead fish. Not supposed to happen, but it seems that it does.

The waterfall reservoirs I am familiar with have a matala mat in them for filtration. I'm surprised that yours didn't come with one. I would think you could buy one for it. I don't know if that would be enough filtration, but it would be better than nothing.

Adding more plants can also help, but it's a bit late in the year for doing that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK, so there’s two types of filtration that a pond needs. The first type is mechanical, which is filter pads in your waterfall box. But that type of filtration has no effect on algae.

The second type of filtration is biological. This is the filtration that’s provided by the plants and the bacteria that are in your pond. Plants Phytologie by our competing them for the nutrients. Bacteria aids in the process by breaking down those nutrients to make them available for the plants to take up.

When you say “algae keeps building up“ what kind of algae are we talking about? Where is the algae?

And a bit more about your pond, you gave us the size, but how many fish do you have in this pond?

Ask a Question