Evaporation rate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
It's been I think probably 2 weeks or more since rain, and constant 96f weather. I filled this one container I had in the same spot as the pond and so far in 5 days it's lost about 1.5 inches of water. I've always been able to notice when water drops in the pond by rocks, one part of the pond always loses water much more fast because that's how it's dug out. I think back in April I had similar weather, but it was April, it was 12-13c degrees less, still was dry. I think back then I measured losing 30-40 gallons or something every 2 weeks, but in this weather I imagine its quite more. Haven't been topping up at all, just been waiting for rain to do that.

Not in full sun otherwise this number probably would be a lot more, get some sun in the morning, most dappled though. I have some Sarracenia, I put them on a roof in a bucket filled with pond water, 3 gallons evaporated in 4-5 days which was interesting but that's in 8-9hrs of sun, and that roof probably boils the water. Always paranoid whether I have a leak or not, I doubt it though, it's been 2 months since I added any kind of water and my history with it is if I have a leak it's pretty damn obvious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah it think you have to consider more than just how fast water evaporates in a bucket. Your pond has by volume far more surface area than a bucket, so evaporation will be faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Yeah it think you have to consider more than just how fast water evaporates in a bucket. Your pond has by volume far more surface area than a bucket, so evaporation will be faster.
Well that's probably right. Not sure how much I haven't measured inches lost in the pond, probably 3 or something and it's been over 2weeks with no rain. And I'm not sure this is just a guess that I monitor several spots and it's probably that amount. I mean I read people lose 2 inches a week so my evaporation's not bad at all but pond's in shade and gets 2hrs of direct sun at most in the morning.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What @GBBUDD said, my pond loses an inch or two in a day or two, between the plants, the sun beating down on it all day, and all the moving water splashing on rocks, etc. This summer has been a pita with almost no rain and high heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Thought there'd be rain but haven't had any for over 3 weeks now.

Filled up, it took 60 gallons. Not bad I suppose, and in measurement before it was 2.5 inches.

Ask a Question