Evaporation in fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
In summer I was losing probably 50-60gallons every 2-3 weeks. My last refill was 2 months ago, as rain began again after that drought. Now it's been two weeks, or more without proper rain, I am still losing water, can't really tell if it's a leak, I just attribute it to evaporation as it's been a long time and I think I would know by now.

In fall I seem to be losing the same amount with 20c temperatures when it's not raining for weeks, but there's also sun though i doubt as much of a factor in shade. I've got buckets of water, some containing pitcher plants I notice they drop too even in dense shade, but I can't really tell how comparable they are, pond has a much bigger surface... yet humidity is above 60-70% these days so I don't know.

Typically a leak is somewhere near the spillway, yet the soil under it seems regular, not dripping with water, so I don't think it could be that. Or I could have some other low edge where wind pushes it at certain times, but I think I'd know. Anywhere else I didn't really do any work, to cause a leak, or anything of the sort. Spillway most likely, but I checked it out and there was nothing going on there.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
GaryMoz posted this link to an evaporation calculator might give you an idea if your are ballpark.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In summer I was losing probably 50-60gallons every 2-3 weeks. My last refill was 2 months ago, as rain began again after that drought. Now it's been two weeks, or more without proper rain, I am still losing water, can't really tell if it's a leak, I just attribute it to evaporation as it's been a long time and I think I would know by now.

In fall I seem to be losing the same amount with 20c temperatures when it's not raining for weeks, but there's also sun though i doubt as much of a factor in shade. I've got buckets of water, some containing pitcher plants I notice they drop too even in dense shade, but I can't really tell how comparable they are, pond has a much bigger surface... yet humidity is above 60-70% these days so I don't know.

Typically a leak is somewhere near the spillway, yet the soil under it seems regular, not dripping with water, so I don't think it could be that. Or I could have some other low edge where wind pushes it at certain times, but I think I'd know. Anywhere else I didn't really do any work, to cause a leak, or anything of the sort. Spillway most likely, but I checked it out and there was nothing going on there.
If your loosing 25 gallons a week that i would say without question is evaporation.

Ask a Question