EPDM Pond Liner Backfill OOPS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Previously Posted Info.... New Question at end of description....
"" I have a 3000 gallon EPDM liner pond 3 ft deep (apx 30 inches deep around sides) and 30 yrs old.

1. The existing sides are almost vertical with a slight inward slope at bottom.
2. The soil is heavy clay. Literally shaved the sides during construction to exact slope and shape that I wanted.
3. One Bottom Drain.
4. Used a 3/8 inch synthetic carpet pad under bottom and sides. It is still in good shape where I can see at edges.

On one side I need to reduce the size of the pond apx 18 inches. What can I back fill with to reduce the pond size.
PLAN:
Drain pond down to 1/2 full (that leaves about 15 inches of pond water.
I would then pull on liner and slide some double thick large cardboard pieces between existing clay soil sides and the liner underlament.

OKAY..... NEW PROBLEM 🤔
1. Good or bad I used dry fence post concrete to backfill as stated above.
2. Dry concrete backfill only filled void 3/4 full, leaving the bottom 1/4 of liner stuck to original clay wall.
3. Now I have a bulge 18 inches up from bottom.

Should I just leave it OR try to fill in the area at the bottom with sand or more dry concrete mix. I can not completely drain pond due to size and number of koi.

I am worried about the structural integrity of the concrete backfill staying put and not moving.
The side of pond is 14 LF.
Seven 50 lb bags fill void.
Six 50 lb bags fill cap.
Large boulders are ultimately going to be mortared along the edge.
Any feedback and help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20240627_095455.jpg
    20240627_095455.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9

Ask a Question