j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice of you to post that info Lou. No problem here w/ the snakes. We have garter snakes in the area and I would love to have them but my cats would prolly kill any that came around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Of course not all snakes are bad yet some of us just do not like having them in our yard nor pond. From the National Wildlife Federation "Eliminating Snakes in Your Yard". Enjoy!
All we have around here are garters and decays. I've never seen one in our yard, but I certainly wouldn't chase them away. I used to catch and release them as a kid :) About 50 mile north of where I live is where you'll find Ontario's only venomous snake. That would be the massissauga rattle snake, and even in an encounter with one of those, your chance of being bitten is extremely rare. Thanks for the article :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Big Lou, you got me interested in snakes again after not giving them much thought in quite a while, so I did a little "looking-up" and found out I misspelled "decay" as in the snake... it's DeKay's snake, aka the northern brown. Harmless little guys, and fun to catch.

I quite look forward to snake activity. Northern water snakes, garters, red bellied water snakes, rat snakes, corn snakes, worm snakes, all an interesting fabric to the web of life that an abundant water garden oasis weaves

Regards, andy

Andy, we have water snakes here too, but I've only ever seen them about 200 km north of here in the Algonquin Park area. They're brown in colour with a sort of diamond pattern that runs down their back. I had to look them up last year after seeing one for the very first time. That was a treat. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Snakes are welcome to stay around, they eat the mice, moles helps keep the nature balance in balance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not a snake but a little tan lizard was puttering around on the road I was walking on today. I had to help him get to the other side cuz he was going around hither and yon and cars would be coming soon. So picked the little fellow up and put him on the other side where there was nice vegetation for him to find a new home in. He was quite the cute little fella or gal :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Not a snake but a little tan lizard was puttering around on the road I was walking on today. I had to help him get to the other side cuz he was going around hither and yon and cars would be coming soon. So picked the little fellow up and put him on the other side where there was nice vegetation for him to find a new home in. He was quite the cute little fella or gal :)
Wish we had lizards here.... loved it when I visited Florida and saw geccos everywhere. Even in downtown urban settings.... THAT was cool!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
So very compassionate of you JW. Back in the Louisiana countryside turtles crossing the road was common place. Felt it my duty to help the slow shelled creatures a safe passage.

Re geckos. We have loads of them here. Horrid but our Sunny loves playing with them.

Reaction score
Got any articles on how to keep them around your yard and pond?
I let a baby snake go in my courtyard pond last year,,,, only saw him once after I let him go and never saw him again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Several safe places for snakes to hibernate would be the first step to encouraging a stable snake population

I don't get any big horde of snakes or much in the way of surprises from vermin over several acres as the same ol few big gals and boys tend to mop up the strays...

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question