Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have inherited a pond in our new place and I'm in the process of setting up

What's the best way to set up pond side electrics

Any links to products and/or instructions would be helpful

There is already an outdoor weather proof socket on the external house wall approx 5-6 meters from the pond

Thanks in advance

Davie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a line on it's own circuit run close to the pond. I got tired of kneeling down, so attached it to a post, which is concealed in my "pond shack ".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The simplest approach may sound like just extending a line off the circuit that's on the side of the house.

However, first you need to know how many plugs are already on that line and what the building code is for your country, whether you can even do that. The circuit breaker in the main breaker panel may already have the maximum load allowed on it.
It may be best to run 2 dedicated lines out to your pond to a weather protected enclosure.
I say 2 lines because depending on your circumstances, how much you are home and how well maintained and healthy your pond is, you may want to set it up so you have 1 circulation pump running on each line. If one circuit trips while you are away, a healthy pond can survive without circulation for quite a few hours, even days - an overloaded or poorly maintained pond, much less time.
If you are not sure about working on electrical, hire an electrician.

Ask a Question