Early Morning Rush

Reaction score
Country
United States
Went out this morning to check on my fish, as I usually do before work, and noticed they were gathering around the pumps
- Tested the water: All was fine, nitrite was a bit high but I predicted this with the heat wave and it wasn’t at a level my fish would get sick from (dumped in some water conditioner tho)
- Checked the filters: Fine
- Checked levels again after 15 minutes: Nitrite went down and everything is perfectly fine

Kept walking around before checking their reaction by tossing in some food…
The stinkers were hungry and immediately went back to swimming normally around the pond after they ate 😑

Other news I’m getting some pink lotuses this weekend :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you explain why nitrite would increase with warmer temperatures? I've never seen that happen.

What water condition did you use to make it drop?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could you explain why nitrite would increase with warmer temperatures? I've never seen that happen.

Warmer water, stuff decomposes faster, fish also eat more. Happens every year for us so unless they’re exhibiting symptoms then no one in my family worries

And it’s this product called aqua essential and it works awesome.

Reaction score
Country
United States

We’ve also had an intense heat wave this past week and only today did it drop to 70° this morning. It’ll be back up to 91°

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would be true that plant matter decays faster in warmer waters. look at a compost pile it heats up on its own and can actually self combust. but underwater there is also a lack of o2 and that would result it the god awful smell people refer to in the muck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wouldn't more filtration prevent the problem? There would be sufficient area for bacteria to increase when necessary. And the bacteria can double in as little as 7 hours. So it could gear up pretty quickly to handle an increase in decomposing material and fish waste.

Also, that decomp wouldn't happen immediately, but would increase over time, I would think, giving the bacteria plenty of time to keep up. Especially with it breaking down under water. In addition, unless the pond is very shallow, the water temp would not increase that much, and it would not climb very quickly.

The temps in my area are hotter than the OP's, with swings of 30 - 40 degrees or more from night to day. As I said before, I've never seen any increase in ammonia or nitrite because of higher temps, so I'm wondering if there is another explanation.

Just my thoughts and I could easily be wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first or last time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Could be, it’s never enough to have us concerned. Again, it happens yearly; but it’s never gotten to toxic levels
As for filtration, but we do have a lot of it. If I was truly worried they’d be near the aerators or at the pond surface to signify something wrong. But they were by the pumps to try and snack on whatever is stuck to the net. It was something I haven’t seen before, but first time for everything.

I did. notice tho the flow rates gone down, but we’ve had to divert some power for Ponyo’s hospital tank. Everything should be back to speed once she’s cleared 👌🏽

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s the pond, hard to get photo of the fish but they spend their time nibbling on the plants and avoid the sun. We’ve haven’t had any major issues except a couple months ago, predators not a chemistry issue
Bonus is they are starting to greet people again after months of hiding after said issue. Getting new fish to help coax the old ones helped.

Attachments

• A09C6808-3BD2-4BF5-A5A6-FFC395BC0F49.jpeg
    A09C6808-3BD2-4BF5-A5A6-FFC395BC0F49.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 16

Ask a Question