Dwarf papyrus help

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dwarf papyrus is very tall growing well in my pond for many years. I would like for it instead of growing straight out into the pond to grow along the edge but I'm not sure how to accomplish this I tried cutting this big root at the bottom of it once and it just killed it. Is there any way I can encourage it to grow along the bank of my pond. And does it hurt to cut the long stems back if so how far back do I cut them

Attachments

• 1728823698530416330198495134774.jpg
    1728823698530416330198495134774.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any way I can encourage it to grow along the bank of my pond. And does it hurt to cut the long stems back if so how far back do I cut them
Welcome Km52! I have a bunch of it growing in and around my ponds and yard.
It helps to have someone hold the plant upright and then the other person takes a sharp knife and cuts downward through the root ball. Be careful when doing this. Another method (safer) is to use a small hand or pruning saw. Cut a four or six-inch section away. What you want is the frond (top) and a root ball section that has some roots. Plant it in well dampened soil. Contrary to internet myth, this plant grows well just about anywhere as long as it does not completely dry out. Be aware, it is highly invasive. Your other question is about cutting the plant's fronds back. Sure, I do it all of the time. Just don't cut all of them at once. Cut a few of them down below the water line. I do this to thin the plants after a storm when some of the taller fronds get bent or damaged. Feel free to ask questions, we are a very friendly forum. Again, welcome!

Ask a Question