Dwarf iris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most Iris do best in full sun, but some will still bloom well in only half-day sun. How many hours of sunlight would you estimate? If it is dappled all day, is it lightly dappled or densely dappled. Also consider Florida's humidity and wet summers. Louisiana Iris hybrids would be an ideal choice, if you could provide at least half a day of sun. Also consider the Crested Iris group. I grow Iris confusa 'Chengdu' in a bit less than half-day sun and it blooms nicely every Spring. It gets a little over a foot tall, and the evergreen fan-shaped leaves on bare stalks are attractive year-round.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Most Iris do best in full sun, but some will still bloom, well in only half-day sun. How many hours of sunlight would you estimate? If it is dappled all day, is it lightly dappled or densely dappled. Also consider Florida's humidity and wet summers. Louisiana Iris hybrids would be an ideal choice, if you could provide at least half a day of sun. Also consider the Crested Iris group. I grow Iris confusa 'Chengdu' in a bit less than half-day sun and it blooms nicely every Spring. It gets a little over a foot tall, and the evergreen fan-shaped leaves on bare stalks are attractive year-round.
Thank you for this reply Marck..this time of year
Most Iris do best in full sun, but some will still bloom, well in only half-day sun. How many hours of sunlight would you estimate? If it is dappled all day, is it lightly dappled or densely dappled. Also consider Florida's humidity and wet summers. Louisiana Iris hybrids would be an ideal choice, if you could provide at least half a day of sun. Also consider the Crested Iris group. I grow Iris confusa 'Chengdu' in a bit less than half-day sun and it blooms nicely every Spring. It gets a little over a foot tall, and the evergreen fan-shaped leaves on bare stalks are attractive year-round.
this time of year it gets morning to noon sun but come summer when it is overhead it will have dappled (I would say lightly) sun all day (under a live oak) Maybe I should pick something else Marck:(

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Crested Iris are a good gorup of 'true' Iris for bright, partial shade.
Gladwin Iris (Iris foetidissima) and the California Irises also do well in part shade, but I don't think humid summer heat would agree with them.

There are certainly other shade plants that could give flowers to an Iris. I grow Brazilian Walking Iris (Trimezia coerulea, formerly Neomarica coerulea) in part-shade. Its Summer flowers are like beautiful, blue irises, but it is not dwarf, expect the leaves to be four tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The Crested Iris are a good gorup of 'true' Iris for bright, partial shade.
Gladwin Iris (Iris foetidissima) and the California Irises also do well in part shade, but I don't think humid summer heat would agree with them.

There are certainly other shade plants that could give flowers to an Iris. I grow Brazilian Walking Iris (Trimezia coerulea, formerly Neomarica coerulea) in part-shade. Its Summer flowers are like beautiful, blue irises, but it is not dwarf, expect the leaves to be four tall.
Great, thank you Marck...I will definitely look into these...I just received my aquatic "forget me nots" and have put them in four different locations...I know that I am a little too far south for them but am hoping that since they will not be in direct sun during the warmer months they will flourish....I ordered them from "Play it Koi" and so far I have only received super healthy plants (and their packaging is wonderful too)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'd say give almost anything a try, as even dappled sun in Florida can be pretty bright light. My "blackberry lily" (really an iris) hasn't found a happy spot yet here (W of Tampa), although allegedly it wants full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'd say give almost anything a try, as even dappled sun in Florida can be pretty bright light. My "blackberry lily" (really an iris) hasn't found a happy spot yet here (W of Tampa), although allegedly it wants full sun.
That’s what I am hoping SarahT, that dappled light here is strong enough

Ask a Question