down flow bog?

Reaction score
Hi -

Does anyone know how to create a down flow bog? My goal is to create a bog next to my main pond, but create current below the main pond's water level when the water re-enters the main pond from the bog. I'd like this in place of a TPR if possible.

I've seen "in-pond" bog designs where blocks separate the main pond from the bog with no liner in between. Water essentially leaks out of the rocks into the main pond. Perhaps this seepage would create current below the surface? Here is an illustration of this

http://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/

I'm worried about cleaning with this method though.

any suggestions would be great!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
To get a directional flow you are going to need to channel the water in the direction you want it to go. Maybe a concrete wall on the edge of the bog with pipes acting a jets pointing in the direction you want the water to go. Or a bit of rubber liner with pipes you can aim.

Reaction score
yes. this is a good idea. how about the issue of bog design? All posts on bogs I've seen talk about the upflow design. I'm guessing downflow is also a possiblity?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am not a bog expert and there has been some debate recently on what a bog is. If you talk upflow or downflow it sounds to me that you are talking about a gravel filter and not a bog where the water flows in one end and out the other. Check WaterBug's recent posts, he has one with links to some good bog diagrams.

Either way I hate gravel and would only go for a bog if I could fill it with stryrofoam peanuts. Lots of people like bogs and I will leave the bog details to them.

Reaction score
gravel really is a lot of maintenance. and very difficult to move around. Lava rock is lighter. maybe a happy medium between peanuts and gravel?

Ask a Question