Does this setup have any faults (major or minor)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

So I'm a complete newbie, and I'm still reading up on ponds... But I've dug out a 4600 gallon pond for my ducks, and would really appreciate any advice and any answers to my questions before I install the liner and the works...

1) Can someone tell me why this pump/filter/aeration all-in-one setup I drew wouldn't work, or if it would, why I don't see it in other ponds?
2) And if there is any major or minor problem that screams out at you, please, please, please let me know!

Thanks!

upload_2015-5-14_15-11-32.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder how a you would clean it

Thanks for answering! It would be mostly a biweekly or weekly drain-pond-and-dump-filter-contents scheme... Doesn't sound very efficient, I know. But I'd hate the idea of external pumps and pipes and hoses being pooped on and clawed at by my animals...

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I believe you will soon tire of the drain and clean. Out of pond hoses and such can be buried. Such filters will be much easier to maintain. If you do not intend to stock fish a pressurized bio filter is about the easiest to maintain. Take a look at filter units sold by reputable online companies. Recommendations available if you like. Water conservation is very important so incorporating it into your ponds operation would be admirable.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Amy there are many options for underwater pumps. I have no external pumps or hoses as do many on this forum. I wish JW were back, she has a great set up for filtering her pond. I have a bog which works really well but not sure what you are building/have built. The draining and cleaning of your pond that often will not allow it to establish itself and, I would think, will be very hard to maintain, I wouldn't recommend that set-up.

Ask a Question