Do lotus' need to be deadheaded?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Should I be trimming the seed heads off of my lotus? I let a couple of them brown and dry up on the plant, but I got to thinking that I maybe should be removing them so as to not sap energy from the plant. Was I wrong or is it even something to be concerned over? I know some of you have lots of experience with growing lotus. I'm clearly a novice.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once they are dried it's OK to remove. You don't want to cut any stems that are growing as they are hollow and can kill the plant. Did you get seeds to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Once they are dried it's OK to remove. You don't want to cut any stems that are growing as they are hollow and can kill the plant. Did you get seeds to grow?
I know to cut them above the water, so no damage is done. I took a couple of the heads off and I think they have seeds but I haven't opened them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Were they completely dried? The seeds are easy to remove if the pods are dry.
They were fully dried. I now have a couple of them in the house. I know I could grow more from the seeds, but I think my little tub has plenty growing in it now. The seeds will no doubt be good for a while so I guess I'll just hang onto them. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been thinking about making my upper bog nothing but lotus and fern

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted one lotus in the past but it failed I pruned it before I planted it and found out later I drowned it. Go figure a water plant that has to grow in water that can drown.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just 2 that I've had luck with. Got seeds for white and yellow double this year but can't get them past first leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just 2 that I've had luck with. Got seeds for white and yellow double this year but can't get them past first leaves.
Wow -- well if you can't I'm sure not going to try! I was curious if you have to treat them at all differently or if their growth habits were very different.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The koi store has 2 lotus in brand new ponds and they both had at least 6 flowers one closer to a dozen. I grabbed a seed from that one.

Ask a Question