Dirty Rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello wanted to get some advise on my 650 gal koi and gold fish pond. It there a way to keep the rocks and stones clean? The bottom of my pond is covered with a very thin layer of I guess muddy stuff. I would love to keep it to where I can see the the different colors of the rock and stone. Not sure if that is possible. Also my water fall is the same way. I have a skimmer opposite of the water fall. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240722_103147.jpg
    20240722_103147.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240722_103141.jpg
    20240722_103141.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 20

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What you have there is not only perfectly normal, but it’s beneficial to having healthy water for your fish! As much as we would like to see all the colors, rocks, nooks and crannies, that isn’t the nature of a pond. All of that film and algae serve a purpose in the pond’s ecosystem!

How many koi and goldfish do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What you have there is not only perfectly normal, but it’s beneficial to having healthy water for your fish! As much as we would like to see all the colors, rocks, nooks and crannies, that isn’t the nature of a pond. All of that film and algae serve a purpose in the pond’s ecosystem!

How many koi and goldfish do you have?
Okay thank you I have 4 gold and 6 koi. I understand your point. Being relatively new I wanted to see if there was a way with loosing the good bacteria. I appreciate your response

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay thank you I have 4 gold and 6 koi. I understand your point. Being relatively new I wanted to see if there was a way with loosing the good bacteria. I appreciate your response

Surface area, filtration, and aeration are your friends!

If you haven’t already, get a water test kit (the liquid, dropper tests are preferred over test strips), and keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH levels, as well as KH and GH (those last 2 tie in with pH).

It looks like your pond is overstocked (too many fish — especially with the koi) for the water volume. Keeping an eye on those water readings will help let you know if and when things are getting out of balance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Surface area, filtration, and aeration are your friends!

If you haven’t already, get a water test kit (the liquid, dropper tests are preferred over test strips), and keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH levels, as well as KH and GH (those last 2 tie in with pH).

It looks like your pond is overstocked (too many fish — especially with the koi) for the water volume. Keeping an eye on those water readings will help let you know if and when things are getting out of balance.
Perfect I will do that thank you

Ask a Question