Depth of pondless resevoir

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 4x5 hole dug with varying depths ranging from 20 inches to 36. My current plan is to use milk crates and 5 gallon buckets and then placing rocks on top of them. The challenge is that the buckets and milk crates aren't high enough to get to admit 6 inches below the rim. I was thinking about placing pavers under them or pvc/corrugated pipe above them. That said, does anyone have anyone experience or suggestions?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why does the top of the void space need to be 6" below rim of hole? It can be deeper if you want it to and create a pooling area at the bottom of the falls. Or dig a little deeper and add another level of milk crates if your liner size will allow it. Or backfill and compact a little to bring your existing materials up to the elevation you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I'm confused by that, too. Your reservoir can be as big or deep as you want it. In my opinion the bigger the better, but you need it as least big enough to hold all of the water that would flow into the reservoir when it's turned off. Bigger means you can store more water which means less filling up.

And as far as what's under the rock - the goal is creating void space, but it really is up to you how deep the rock is on top of your "void makers". Where is the pump going to be? That is one consideration - the more rock you pile on top the more you have to move when you need to get to the pump. In my case that's twice a year. You don't say where you live, but maybe you can run it all year and access won't be as big of an issue.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
water welcome.gif
@andrewinva
@Lisa K I think he's in Virginia due to his screen name.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome and the questions. I'm in Northern Virginia and my current plan is to have the pump stay on all year. The answers make sense to my vague question so thank you.
The current "hole" is about 5x6 or 30 sqft. I am anticipating putting the pump in the diagonal corner of the falls at the deepest point-about 36 inches and then either using vinyl tubing to carry to the falls or creating a pvc conduit and putting the tubing inside of that.
I guess the essence of my question was suggestions for raising up the void height when it isn't exactly aligned with the dimensions of the milk crates. You're right I am trying to maximize void space so I am hoping to not use backfill. Creating a smaller pooling area is a good idea. My goal is to have sufficient void using affordable void makers, and then to have a sufficiently strong "void toppers" before I place the stone (ranging from pea gravel to 1 man boulders). I'm kind of making this up as I go so any guidance on any of this is really appreciated

Attachments

• 20240720_085834.jpg
    20240720_085834.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240709_193910_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_193910_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240707_154551.jpg
    20240707_154551.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With a hole that small I would strongly encourage you to use a matrix built for this purpose. I know they are pricey, but you won't need that many and you'll never have to worry about things collapsing. Just a suggestion though - lots of folks have successfully used milk crates and buckets. I just think working with squares is easier in a hole for using all the potential space to the best advantage.

One thing I will recommend - DON'T USE PEA GRAVEL. It will clog on day one and be completely clogged by day three and you' will fight it for the rest of time. until you finally dig it all out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With a hole that small I would strongly encourage you to use a matrix built for this purpose. I know they are pricey, but you won't need that many and you'll never have to worry about things collapsing. Just a suggestion though - lots of folks have successfully used milk crates and buckets. I just think working with squares is easier in a hole for using all the potential space to the best advantage.

One thing I will recommend - DON'T USE PEA GRAVEL. It will clog on day one and be completely clogged by day three and you' will fight it for the rest of time. until you finally dig it all out.
Thanks Lisa. No pea gravel. Got it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why does the top of the void space need to be 6" below rim of hole? It can be deeper if you want it to and create a pooling area at the bottom of the falls. Or dig a little deeper and add another level of milk crates if your liner size will allow it. Or backfill and compact a little to bring your existing materials up to the elevation you want.
Well, for better for worse the project is about done, I'm only about 200 lb short of rock. I'd hope for it to be complete before I left on vacation but alas figuring out how much Stone I needed was more difficult than expected, obviously. Still need to work on my corners of lining but I think I can handle that with Stone as well.

Attachments

• 20240802_060312.jpg
    20240802_060312.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240801_222256.jpg
    20240801_222256.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240801_222241.jpg
    20240801_222241.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question