De-icer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a pond that is about 3500 gallons and 2-3ft ish depth throughout. Last two years I put in a de-icer, but both times it froze over anyway - I think the de-icer was not big enough? However the fish were fine. I do also have aeration. But I was wondering how big a pond needs to be before you don't need a de-icer or if I really do need to look for a replacement.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a pond that is about 3500 gallons and 2-3ft ish depth throughout. Last two years I put in a de-icer, but both times it froze over anyway - I think the de-icer was not big enough? However the fish were fine. I do also have aeration. But I was wondering how big a pond needs to be before you don't need a de-icer or if I really do need to look for a replacement.
Thanks in advance!
Also want to mention that I am in the Cleveland Ohio area

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the responses! Last 2 winters the de-icer literally froze in the pond. In the past, I poured hot water in the hole of the de-icer with limited success. I did have 2 aerators on the bottom edges of the pond. I will try bringing up the aerators to a shallower place.

All my fish were good (thank goodness) but because the pond was frozen for a couple of weeks it made me wonder at what point nature fixes the problem. I was thinking there are all kinds of farm ponds people ice skate on with fish in them.

But I think I will get a new de-icer and pull the aerators up a little higher. I would hate for my fish to suffer. They are all cheap goldfish from my local pet store, but they are getting pretty big and have some babies. I really enjoy watching them grow and change with the pond.

Ask a Question