Cutting back iris for winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first year in this house and in the next month or so I want to put a different net over the pond to stop all the leaves (from the tree immediately above it) falling in the pond (The current net doesn’t cover the iris). The only thing is these iris shown, will be crushed/flattened by the net. I’ve heard that you can (should?) cut iris back for winter, is that correct? I’m in the uk so it can get cold but rarely below -5 and often not for long periods. Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It depends on the type of iris. I have some that go fully dormant which I cut back, and others that remain evergreen that I don't.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can raise your net up on posts. Mine is about 3 or 4 ft above the water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I almost always cut my irises down as far as I can. Usually about an inch or two remaining. If I don't cut them they go dormant anyway and need to be cleaned up regardless. I just find them easier to cut and remove when they're still green, and then they're not sitting in the water decomposing all winter.

I don't have a specific time when I cut them, but I do it in fall and try to make sure it's done before snow falls. I usually take care of it before the net goes on (mid to late October) but I've also done it in November, and sometimes in mid to late September.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I almost always cut my irises down as far as I can. Usually about an inch or two remaining. If I don't cut them they go dormant anyway and need to be cleaned up regardless. I just find them easier to cut and remove when they're still green, and then they're not sitting in the water decomposing all winter.

I don't have a specific time when I cut them, but I do it in fall and try to make sure it's done before snow falls. I usually take care of it before the net goes on (mid to late October) but I've also done it in November, and sometimes in mid to late September.
At or below water level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For mine, I wait until we've had a good frost or freeze & then cut the foliage down as low as I can get it. Perhaps an inch or two above where the foliage attaches to the tuber.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
At or below water level?

Usually an inch or two above water just because I don't like working in cold water at the time of year. I don't think it matters that much though. No matter where you cut them it wont have an affect on how they grow back next season. It's mainly just about getting out as much plant material as you want to keep decomposing at a minimum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut back my Iris as soon as it is done blooming and as it grows back to the same point it is absorbing nutrients from the water and not just growing wider.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut back my Iris as soon as it is done blooming and as it grows back to the same point it is absorbing nutrients from the water and not just growing wider.
Good idea. Mine need pruning back, again

Ask a Question