Construction methods for small partially above ground pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm trying to build a small pond to fill a spot beside my new patio. I am trying to figure out what most people use to have an above ground pond. Looking to do a few hundred gallons maybe 5' by 5'-2' depth. I was thinking about sinking it one foot into the ground but and having trouble finding a method that feels safe to have sitting above ground. I am a normally an insane over builder when it comes to things though. Do people normally use wood, cinderblocks, or retaining wall blocks? Thoughts or ideas? Or if folks have links to old discussion that would be great.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’ll see if I can find pictures (the ones I took may not be helpful, though — if I can find them). We have a high water table here, so I had to redo my pond to bring it up, above ground level. I built what’s called a ”collar.” I used cinder blocks, but I think I’ve seen them made with treated lumber.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Here are a couple of links with pics:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used cinder blocks, but my pond was sunk further into the ground, if you want a 2ft deep pond half in half out, I would use railway sleepers (unless you want curves)

(Now I've built my first proper pond, it makes me an expert:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bugwelcome1.gif
@pondloach
Here's how an old member did a new one of hers at her new place in Canada. She is on youtube also but doesn't come here anymore. She still has posts here tho as @callingcolleen1 :
She has a ton more too on youtube under the name: Colleen Penny

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Ask a Question