Confused about solar pumps and filters

Reaction score
Good evening,
I’d be grateful for any help.
I have just dug out a pond by hand which is 8x14x2.6ft. I think this makes it 1000 litres/241 gallons - and I would like, if possible, to find a triple action solar pump uvc filter. The lady in the local pond shop didn’t seem to know much about solar pumps/filters but said it needed to be 5 or 9 watt, which doesn’t seem very much.
She also said not to use gravel on the pond base but I’ve since read that gravel is beneficial for the bacteria and protects the liner too.
I’m so tired after digging for what seems like an eternity and my mind is frazzled with the vast array of solar pumps and filters and kw etc etc, so I thought I’d ask for some advice and would be very grateful for help.
It’s a south facing garden and positioned where it is sunny all day (wishful thinking I know).
Thank you in advance, Jess

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
sorry but I really don't know anything about solar pumps. Looking at your dimensions, the volume would be close to 2,000 gallons.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Is there a reason you want to go with solar? Would you have a battery? If you’re planning to have fish, pumps and filters do best if they run 24/7.

Gravel is a highly debated topic. A little bit is good and can be beneficial — it provides surfaces for beneficial bacteria. Too much (too deep) can be a PITA — it can trap debris that can’t be easily removed. Some people totally freak out if there is one tiny rock on the bottom of the pond! Is one right or one wrong? That’s up to you.

For most things “pond,” I have found that good science is your best friend. You’re going to get tons of advice: some will be good, some will be terrible. And you know what? Sometimes you just gotta experiment on your own to see what works best!

BEST ADVICE EVER: Read up on and understand the nitrogen cycle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome colorful.gif
@JessDorset

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in the camp of no rocks on the bottom of the pond. My pond has a bottom drain so that dictates that there are no rocks. It's easy to keep the bottom of the pond clean and I very, rarely need to vacuum it. Usually only once a year and that isn't really necessary. I'm all for easy maintenance.

Others like the rocks. I actually prefer the look of the bare liner. It shows the fish better. To me, the rocks look too cluttered. Guess I like the minimalist look. But everyone has their own preferences and either way can work.

Ask a Question