Complete pond cleaning

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi, my name is Pam and I have a pond that is pretty large. I was wondering approximately what the average costs are for a company to completely drain the pond, clean it, refill it, remove all the plants, plant new ones. I am waiting for an estimate from a company and don’t want to be ripped off, so anyone who has done this and can give me an approximation of what I can expect, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi, my name is Pam and I have a pond that is pretty large. I was wondering approximately what the average costs are for a company to completely drain the pond, clean it, refill it, remove all the plants, plant new ones. I am waiting for an estimate from a company and don’t want to be ripped off, so anyone who has done this and can give me an approximation of what I can expect, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Not something I would ever do personally as pond water likes to remain for always and pretty much ever. I just maintain it by filters and sometimes netting out big stuff and keep the plants in control. Now and then I will allow some fresh well water to run it and do a bit of a refresh and topping off when the water evaporates. Not sure why you are doing all of this? Maybe it is so dirty and mucked up and no fish and you just want to start over w/a clean slate? If no fish then go for it but if fish they will have to be put in big pool to hold till it's all done. They like their old water tho and won't happy w/the new and it can shock them dead! Sorry I have no idea on how much it would cost to do all of this. Hope someone else will pop in w/more advice.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Not something I would ever do personally as pond water likes to remain for always and pretty much ever. I just maintain it by filters and sometimes netting out big stuff and keep the plants in control. Now and then I will allow some fresh well water to run it and do a bit of a refresh and topping off when the water evaporates. Not sure why you are doing all of this? Maybe it is so dirty and mucked up and no fish and you just want to start over w/a clean slate? If no fish then go for it but if fish they will have to be put in big pool to hold till it's all done. They like their old water tho and won't happy w/the new and it can shock them dead! Sorry I have no idea on how much it would cost to do all of this. Hope someone else will pop in w/more advice.
We did this once because we needed a new liner. At that time, they also made the pond shallower with one deep spot. And afterwards they planted waaaaaay too many plants so that the entire perimeter is full of plants taller than me. I can barely see the fish anymore. In the meantime, the plant roots have grown under the liner making it impossible for me to maintain any longer. Soooo I need to hire someone to remove all plants and roots. To do this they will have to drain and transfer my fish to holding pools. I just don’t want to be ripped off so I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar done and what kind of estimate I can expect.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Big job...maybe get another quote to keep them honest:)
normally i would but we don’t have any good options where i live. most smaller gardeners won’t touch a job like this. i was hoping someone out there has had this done before and could give me a rough estimate.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi! Where do you live? Could you post some pics of your pond? How big, and what kind of fish? What kind of filtration do you have?

It’s going to be hard to get an estimate over the internet….unless you are able to contact a few specific [local] businesses and show them the pics. Even here in the US (assuming you are not in the US), there will be vast differences in cost and availability even between 2 cities in the same state.

Most of us don’t empty our water completely, but top-off as needed. And as for removing plants and replanting, most just get in the water and do it by hand. I know that isn’t the solution you were looking for, since it sounds like you want a complete make-over. All I can suggest is for you to advertise locally. See if there are other pond owners where you live and network with them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
normally i would but we don’t have any good options where i live. most smaller gardeners won’t touch a job like this. i was hoping someone out there has had this done before and could give me a rough estimate.
You are in Germany and here near me we have a few pond stores that make ponds and redo them. Maybe check near you and find ones that are available and get costs from each and compare? Here is a place I found online. Just do a search for your area: https://cool.builders/DE-en/t38/
Also maybe contact these guys and ask if they know someone in Germany that is good for what you need. At the bottom of the page they have a contact link you can click on: https://www.aquascapeinc.com/about-us

This place in Germany is for large scale company jobs but they may know something about what you want: https://www.lindner-willofs.de/services/pond-construction-and-civil-engineering/?lang=en

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here in the US we were quoted $1600 for a full clean out several years ago - but that wouldn’t include removing and replacing plants. It’s a big job - we did it ourselves and it took all of two days.

Ask a Question