Complete pond clean out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As I mentioned in someone's thread, we did a full pond clean out this weekend on our 13 year old pond. We've never cleaned it or vacuumed it - just keep the leaves scooped as needed. We were experiencing a lot of floating debris and cloudy water any time we had a hard rain so decided it was probably time. For reference we also have never done water changes - just rain or hose fill ups as needed.

We bought an inflatable 360 gallon pool for a temporary fish holding tank and pumped it full of pond water. Then we pumped the pond down to even the playing field between me and the fish - those suckers are fast! We have mostly goldfish and shubunkins, just one big koi. I caught the fish and my husband transported them to the pool. That probably took us a half hour. 42 fish came out of the pond into the pool.

Then I started at the rain exchange and power washed the gravel until there were no more areas holding dirt. Obviously we were washing the dirt down into the rain exchange, so we would periodically start the pump to pump all the dirty water out of the reservoir and into the pond. Once we could see that the water was pumping clear we felt confident the rain exchange was reasonably clean.

Then I moved to the top of the waterfall with the power washer and just blasted away - a good amount of dirt and debris was caught between the rocks and in the pooling areas in the waterfall. Slowly worked my way all the way to the base of the waterfall and just kept rinsing everything down into the pond. At the same time, we continued pumping the water from the pond down the storm drain. Worked great. We had a hose running in the rain exchange the whole time, so every time we got enough water in the reservoir to run the pump we turned it on and that help rinse the dirt and debris off the waterfall. I lost count but I think we filled and pumped it out 5 times total.

Once the waterfall was clean I started on the main pond. I moved my lily and lotus pots out of the way and removed our "fish cave" (a clay chimney liner) from the pond completely. As I had often suspected, the cave was full of gravel - the fish love to move it around and had made themselves a nice little cache of gravel to pick through inside the cave.

For the rock walls I just power washed the surfaces of the rocks, rinsing off the dirt. The algae does collect a good amount of silt but it was easy to rinse it down. I made no attempt to remove any of the carpet algae from the rocks - that stuff took power washing like it was actual carpet. I made a concerted effort to power wash between the rocks - which was the topic of discussion on another thread... how much debris collects between the rocks? My conclusion: there was nothing. The water ran clear from behind the rocks . We do have some plant growth between the rocks which obviously holds dirt, but anywhere that it was just rock butted up to rock there was nothing to wash out from behind the void. When we built the pond, we filled behind the rocks with gravel.

Once the walls were done, I moved on to the pond floor. My approach was to move as much gravel as possible to the two ends of the pond and just keep rinsing it with the power washer. The pump was at the lowest point of the pond near the middle, so the dirty water kept flowing downhill to the pump. I rinsed and shoved gravel around until it was as clean as I could get it and the water was basically running clear. There was a lot of mulm - broken down organic matter - but nothing sludgey and absolutely no stink whatsoever. The power washer did keep blasting that silty mulm back on the walls so I did a great deal of re-rinsing to keep that moving down to the pump. I was about 90% done with the bottom of the pond when the pump just stopped working. (I blame my husband who kept saying "EVERYTHING IS GOING EXACTLY TO PLAN!" Haha.) We had borrowed the pump from a friend, so we knew if it was broken we'd be replacing it, so my husband ran to the local big box and bought a replacement - the new one ran for less than an hour and IT QUIT. So don't buy a Barracuda pump. We have a small submersible pump so I had gotten that out and hooked up while he was sat the store, so I used it to keep pumping out the dirty water while I waited for him to get back. That one has a garden hose out put so I used it to water my potted plants. Slowed me down a big by didn't stop me. I knew we needed to get the pond filled and running so the fish could go back in the next day.

Anyway after the second pump stopped working, I limped to the end with the small pump (which by the way we bought more than 30 years ago and it STILL WORKS GREAT) and was able to pump down to where I could see bare liner at the lowest point and only clear water. I spent a bit of time repositioning some lights, put the fish cave back in the pond, dropped the potted plants back in and we started filling the pond back up. I did add pond dechlorinator to be on the safe side, even though we were going to let the pond run for 24 hours and probably would have been fine. WE have chlorine in our water, but no chloramines.

It was a satisfying day's worth of work. None of it was hard, but it was a lot of climbing in and out of the pond - which is far easier with no water in the pond. It was so cool to see the rocks that we put in the pond all those years ago still firmly in place. The construction has held up remarkably well for a family who had no real idea what we were doing. Seeing some of those rocks again was like visiting old friends - I know... I'm nuts. But when you hand place tons of rock, you get kind of attached!

The next day we returned the fish to the pond - much easier to catch them in a 350 gallon rectangular pool with no place to hide. 42 fish came out of the pond; 41 went back in. I had netted the pool overnight, but we had set up a box filter with a small pump to keep the water moving so I had to leave a small area for the water to flow back in. One of the goldfish decided it was a good opportunity to take a leap... not a good landing for him. As of this morning all the fish are swimming happily in their now much cleaner home.

So that's my pond clean out saga. Would I do it again? Maybe. It is satisfying to get rid of all that dirty water, but I don't think that the dirt would ever cause a problem. It's not like it was building up on the bottom or anything and the fish certainly didn't care. But it did satisfy my curiousity and hopefully we won't get the clouding and have reduced the floating particulants dramatically. Now I'll be curious to see if we get "new pond syndrome" - green water? Lots of string algae? STAY TUNED!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you only do it once every 13 years, I'd say that's pretty good! Do you have before and after pictures?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s an awesome narrative! I am a “visual“ person, so I have to literally SEE the process for it to make sense…..and I will invariably get totally lost in the words, so don’t often read longer posts.

I know that was a lot of work — proud of you! Keep us posted on the “new pond syndrome.” Will you be checking water chemistries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you refilled with new water from your hose? How many gallons is your pond? Hopefully you won't get a 'new pond' algae bloom! Sounds like a very satisfying day, all around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I mentioned in someone's thread, we did a full pond clean out this weekend on our 13 year old pond. We've never cleaned it or vacuumed it - just keep the leaves scooped as needed. We were experiencing a lot of floating debris and cloudy water any time we had a hard rain so decided it was probably time. For reference we also have never done water changes - just rain or hose fill ups as needed.

We bought an inflatable 360 gallon pool for a temporary fish holding tank and pumped it full of pond water. Then we pumped the pond down to even the playing field between me and the fish - those suckers are fast! We have mostly goldfish and shubunkins, just one big koi. I caught the fish and my husband transported them to the pool. That probably took us a half hour. 42 fish came out of the pond into the pool.

Then I started at the rain exchange and power washed the gravel until there were no more areas holding dirt. Obviously we were washing the dirt down into the rain exchange, so we would periodically start the pump to pump all the dirty water out of the reservoir and into the pond. Once we could see that the water was pumping clear we felt confident the rain exchange was reasonably clean.

Then I moved to the top of the waterfall with the power washer and just blasted away - a good amount of dirt and debris was caught between the rocks and in the pooling areas in the waterfall. Slowly worked my way all the way to the base of the waterfall and just kept rinsing everything down into the pond. At the same time, we continued pumping the water from the pond down the storm drain. Worked great. We had a hose running in the rain exchange the whole time, so every time we got enough water in the reservoir to run the pump we turned it on and that help rinse the dirt and debris off the waterfall. I lost count but I think we filled and pumped it out 5 times total.

Once the waterfall was clean I started on the main pond. I moved my lily and lotus pots out of the way and removed our "fish cave" (a clay chimney liner) from the pond completely. As I had often suspected, the cave was full of gravel - the fish love to move it around and had made themselves a nice little cache of gravel to pick through inside the cave.

For the rock walls I just power washed the surfaces of the rocks, rinsing off the dirt. The algae does collect a good amount of silt but it was easy to rinse it down. I made no attempt to remove any of the carpet algae from the rocks - that stuff took power washing like it was actual carpet. I made a concerted effort to power wash between the rocks - which was the topic of discussion on another thread... how much debris collects between the rocks? My conclusion: there was nothing. The water ran clear from behind the rocks . We do have some plant growth between the rocks which obviously holds dirt, but anywhere that it was just rock butted up to rock there was nothing to wash out from behind the void. When we built the pond, we filled behind the rocks with gravel.

Once the walls were done, I moved on to the pond floor. My approach was to move as much gravel as possible to the two ends of the pond and just keep rinsing it with the power washer. The pump was at the lowest point of the pond near the middle, so the dirty water kept flowing downhill to the pump. I rinsed and shoved gravel around until it was as clean as I could get it and the water was basically running clear. There was a lot of mulm - broken down organic matter - but nothing sludgey and absolutely no stink whatsoever. The power washer did keep blasting that silty mulm back on the walls so I did a great deal of re-rinsing to keep that moving down to the pump. I was about 90% done with the bottom of the pond when the pump just stopped working. (I blame my husband who kept saying "EVERYTHING IS GOING EXACTLY TO PLAN!" Haha.) We had borrowed the pump from a friend, so we knew if it was broken we'd be replacing it, so my husband ran to the local big box and bought a replacement - the new one ran for less than an hour and IT QUIT. So don't buy a Barracuda pump. We have a small submersible pump so I had gotten that out and hooked up while he was sat the store, so I used it to keep pumping out the dirty water while I waited for him to get back. That one has a garden hose out put so I used it to water my potted plants. Slowed me down a big by didn't stop me. I knew we needed to get the pond filled and running so the fish could go back in the next day.

Anyway after the second pump stopped working, I limped to the end with the small pump (which by the way we bought more than 30 years ago and it STILL WORKS GREAT) and was able to pump down to where I could see bare liner at the lowest point and only clear water. I spent a bit of time repositioning some lights, put the fish cave back in the pond, dropped the potted plants back in and we started filling the pond back up. I did add pond dechlorinator to be on the safe side, even though we were going to let the pond run for 24 hours and probably would have been fine. WE have chlorine in our water, but no chloramines.

It was a satisfying day's worth of work. None of it was hard, but it was a lot of climbing in and out of the pond - which is far easier with no water in the pond. It was so cool to see the rocks that we put in the pond all those years ago still firmly in place. The construction has held up remarkably well for a family who had no real idea what we were doing. Seeing some of those rocks again was like visiting old friends - I know... I'm nuts. But when you hand place tons of rock, you get kind of attached!

The next day we returned the fish to the pond - much easier to catch them in a 350 gallon rectangular pool with no place to hide. 42 fish came out of the pond; 41 went back in. I had netted the pool overnight, but we had set up a box filter with a small pump to keep the water moving so I had to leave a small area for the water to flow back in. One of the goldfish decided it was a good opportunity to take a leap... not a good landing for him. As of this morning all the fish are swimming happily in their now much cleaner home.

So that's my pond clean out saga. Would I do it again? Maybe. It is satisfying to get rid of all that dirty water, but I don't think that the dirt would ever cause a problem. It's not like it was building up on the bottom or anything and the fish certainly didn't care. But it did satisfy my curiousity and hopefully we won't get the clouding and have reduced the floating particulants dramatically. Now I'll be curious to see if we get "new pond syndrome" - green water? Lots of string algae? STAY TUNED!
What kind of plants do you have in there?? I have water lillies but having a hard time growing them big. Just transplanted 4 new starts w older ones & used clay soil this time which was recommended. I hope they do better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Seeing some of those rocks again was like visiting old friends - I know... I'm nuts. But when you hand place tons of rock, you get kind of attached!
My wife makes fun of me about this. I remember the story behind almost every one of the 50 ton or so of boulders that went in the pond and what it took to get it there. And I tell those stories often.

BTW, I thought you bought a really fine filter or something to clear up the suspended particles you were seeing in the water. And I thought that was working well for you. Did that change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have before and after pictures?
I did take a few - I'll post some later this evening.

Will you be checking water chemistries?
I think I'll just watch and see what happens.

So you refilled with new water from your hose? How many gallons is your pond? Hopefully you won't get a 'new pond' algae bloom!
We did. It's about 4000 gallons total, but I bet we used several thousand just rinsing and re-rinsing. We'll report it as a "new pool fill up" and get a discount ont he water bill. I am curious to see if the pond will respond as a new pond, or will be better balanced because we left so much of the biological filtration - i.e., plants and algae - in place.

What kind of plants do you have in there??
So many plants... we have one big potted lily and two potted lotuses, all hardy. But we have lots of marginals growing in the pond - irises, lizard tail, arrowhead, forget me nots, marigolds, water celery...

My wife makes fun of me about this. I remember the story behind almost every one of the 50 ton or so of boulders that went in the pond and what it took to get it there. And I tell those stories often.
Same - we had an intimate relationship for a number of weeks! Started in my front yard, moved to the back, rolled into the pond, lifted into place. You don't forget those days!

BTW, I thought you bought a really fine filter or something to clear up the suspended particles you were seeing in the water. And I thought that was working well for you. Did that change?

We did add a biofilter with filter pads, and it made things so much better with all the very tiny fine floating debris. What we had now is kind of larger debris (but still tiny, like bits of leaves) that settles on the shelves and pond bottom. Then the fish swish by and stir it up... and then it slowly settles back into place. So getting it OUT of the pond is the issue. I think going forward I'll bring a garden hose in with me when I'm grooming plants and use it to get the debris moving in the pond. I'm sure it will all break down into nothing eventually, but I'll keep it moving so I don't keep seeing the same tiny leaf bits floating by my camera! (See, crazy in lots of ways!)

That's the other thing that changed - the pond cam. If I weren't able to stare directly into the pond for hours at a time, I would likely have no idea those floating bits were even there. But now I CAN see them and it was making me nutty. Too tiny to scoop with a net, but too large to ignore.

We did keep the biofalls filter pads in place. I'll rinse them out in a couple of weeks, but I figured the bacteria in them would be helpful to get things rolling again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like a very satisfying days work and peace of mind to see your rocks and liner in good condition. I'd have to say once every 13 years or so, is pretty darn good !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I didn't take many great pics of the pond clean out, but here's a couple. This first one is when the pond was mostly empty but I hadn't started power washing yet. I had rinsed out the rain exchange by this point and pumped it out several times - the muddy water in the bottom is pretty much the worst we had all day:

IMG_7276.JPG

And no real "after" pics - I think I was just in "git r done" mode by that point, but I will share this one - this is a picture I took of my TV screen which is streaming my pond cam - not a great pic, but just LOOK at the algae on that fish cave! If you look inside of it you can see how deep they had piled the gravel based on the line of algae. Same on the outside - this was located in an area where there was about 2 inches between the sides and the rock wall - they had filled both sides with gravel over the years. Pretty hard workers, those fish! I moved the tunnel further toward the front of the pond, just to make it easier for me to walk around in there. I"ve been stepping over this thing for years! I was also able to run one of the light cables under the tunnel - I would constantly catch it with my foot, so now it's safely secured and won't get dislodged:
IMG_7289.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh and I meant to share this one - here's my iris "before" picture. I managed to reduce this thing dramatically, but still need to get about 50% more out. At some point I realized it was just a distraction and was slowing my progress so I moved on:

IMG_7274.JPG

And here's the pool with the fish - I got this one for 60 bucks on Amazon. Worked out great - even came with an air pump. All this pond water will go to water my flowers over the next few days!

IMG_7275.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It’s in one of those jobs where only you know how hard you worked! Pond looks great, but it looked great before, so… haha!

One of my first big projects this summer was to power wash and re-sand our paver patio. We last had it done in 2019 professionally and it cost us about 800 bucks - I thought “I can do that!” And guess what… I did! Anyway - my observation from doing that job is that the water from the “dirty” pond was no muddier or murkier than the water from my “dirty” patio. It took me two days to power wash a 30 x 17 patio until I was able to get all the dirt and grime off. It’s shocking how just being outdoors makes things dirty!

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive power washer that works great here’s the one we bought - perfect for home use, lightweight and plenty of power:

PowRyte Electric Pressure Washer,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28X7VMS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have Ryobi’s most powerful electric pressure washer. I borrowed my grandparents light-duty gas washer w/ a 15” surface cleaning attachment. That thing smoked my electric washer. Still like my electric for most tasks, but don’t think I’ll ever do the patio or driveway again with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Totally agree that gas is way more powerful - but like I told by husband, I’m not gong into business here. I just wanna clean the patio furniture. This one did great cleaning the cracks in the patio, the pavers, the pond and rocks - everything I’ve used it on has been great. We will see how long it lasts.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I decided to do a similar clean out this past spring and it was a game changer, got rid of tons of sludge, leaves, and other debris and leaving my bog filter untouched kept the pond from experiencing a whole new cycle!

Ask a Question