Cardinal Flower Having Issues??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a cardinal flower planted in between rocks in my pondless waterfall. It's in pea gravel, and has water running under it. Last week it started to lean a bit, and now this. Is it dying?, or just too heavy for the smallish area for the roots? It also seems to be actually leaning towards where the water is splashing, is that possible??

Attachments

• 20240831_102759.jpg
    20240831_102759.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
That’s what cardinal flower looks when growing in those conditions. The ones I have have rooted in rock look just like this…and have been for years. I have one grown in soil and that one is obviously more vigorous looking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s what cardinal flower looks when growing in those conditions. The ones I have have rooted in rock look just like this…and have been for years. I have one grown in soil and that one is obviously more vigorous looking.
So yours come back every year? It was my understanding that the cardinal flower drops seeds, that then grow from basically where it was planted. How the heck will, or does that happen with it's laying a couple of feet from where it was originally planted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
So yours come back every year? It was my understanding that the cardinal flower drops seeds, that then grow from basically where it was planted. How the heck will, or does that happen with it's laying a couple of feet from where it was originally planted?
Surprisingly mine does yes. Not sure what zone you are in but I’m in 7b. My pond freezes over but maybe for a few weeks. But I have one that come back every year that is rooted under some rocks at the edge of the pond. No dirt lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Surprisingly mine does yes. Not sure what zone you are in but I’m in 7b. My pond freezes over but maybe for a few weeks. But I have one that come back every year that is rooted under some rocks at the edge of the pond. No dirt lol.
I'm in SC, zone 8a, I believe. Guess there's nothing I can do about it if it doesn't come back next year. I figured the seeds have to drop from the flowers, which are now in a completely different spot, so? LOL

Ask a Question