Can ph from youth affect what adult fish find stressful? - don't want to lose fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I've built a new pond in march
I waited until all levels were good, brought bacteria from the old pond filter.
My readings are

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
GH 8
KH 6
PH 8.2

However
My koi that came from a 6.4 ph pond
Although being slowly introduced over several hours and now in the pond for a month have started turning grey
I've read this is excess mucous due to bad water parameters
Yet everything in my test kit says perfectly ok
Could this be because they grew up in ph 6.4 kh 3 GH 3 conditions
And are struggling to adapt they are 4 years old now. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds like excess slime coat. Something in the water is irritating their skin so they put on more slime coat to protect themselves.

Are they flashing or suddenly darting around? That could indicate flukes. Have you added anything to the water? Any sort of treatments for algae or anything else?

I would doubt that the previous water conditions would be having an affect on them now. That would have happened fairly quickly after introducing them to the new pond, not a month later.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds like excess slime coat. Something in the water is irritating their skin so they put on more slime coat to protect themselves.

Are they flashing or suddenly darting around? That could indicate flukes. Have you added anything to the water? Any sort of treatments for algae or anything else?

I would doubt that the previous water conditions would be having an affect on them now. That would have happened fairly quickly after introducing them to the new pond, not a month later.
Hi no.
No flashing no rubbing no additives.
I made sure the water and the filters were established.
Both koi eating from my hand still and sunbathing. Do not seen stressed.
They have a cave as well.
They went from 500l to 7000l
That's the only other change.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And that was exactly my thought re the water. But everything reads ok. I get a slight pH change morning to night of .2
I've tested the water every day twice a day morning and night since they moved in.
I did use an equaliser because I was worried with it being in the sun that the pH would fluctuate and that brought the kh and the gh up
But since then I've done 25% water changes for 4 days with conditioner in the changes
Nothing changes regards any reading but they are still grey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KH is what keeps the pH stable. To me, your KH could be higher, but yours is okay. I just like to have more of a cushion than 6 provides.

What exactly do you mean by conditioner? A dechlorinator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KH will drop over time, so I like to have more than necessary in the system so there is plenty of cushion. That way, I don't have to be so attentive to it, or worry that it will fall too far before I notice. Also, my filter works best at a high KH level.

Just the way I do it. Everyone has to find their own routine and what they are comfortable with. Do whatever works best for you and your pond.

Ask a Question