Can I Build On A Slight Slope

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi All,

My backyard has a slight slope and a few years back I had a few trees cut down and stumps grounded. The past few years it’s been nothing but weeds and I’d like to roll up the sleeves and build my own goldfish pond. The current plan is a 13x20 and i plan to go 3 feet deep (NJ location). However, will the slight slope be an issue? I figured my waterfall/stream can start at the top and flow naturally into the pond.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 18

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is on a steep slope. Makes a great stream.

I had to dig down one edge, 4 feet and build up the other edge by 6 -7 feet to make a level spot for the pond.

So yes you can do it. Just make sure your edges are all level. Water sure shows if it is not.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine is on a steep slope. Makes a great stream.

I had to dig down one edge, 4 feet and build up the other edge by 6 -7 feet to make a level spot for the pond.

So yes you can do it. Just make sure your edges are all level. Water sure shows if it is not.

Welcome to the forum!
Perfect, so mine is definitely doable! Do you happen to have any photos of your pond to give me an idea for levelness? I think I’ll only have to build up one side but nothings ever certain lol

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dig your pond, then dig a foot to 18” wide edge around the whole pond both width wise and depth wise, this will be your rock ledge which will hide your liner even if you are abit out of level.

If you don’t havre access to a laser level, get a ball of string and a line level to level it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,

My backyard has a slight slope and a few years back I had a few trees cut down and stumps grounded. The past few years it’s been nothing but weeds and I’d like to roll up the sleeves and build my own goldfish pond. The current plan is a 13x20 and i plan to go 3 feet deep (NJ location). However, will the slight slope be an issue? I figured my waterfall/stream can start at the top and flow naturally into the pond.
I live in Canada, not too far north of you (5hrs by car) . I have a 6’ deep area for the fish to overwinter. Most of the main pond is 4’ deep “ to avoid bird problems, specifically herons” . Most of the research I did before I started says I went a little overboard on depth but I figured better safe than silly and the fish certainly don’t mind. I do notice that they mostly stay in the deepest area in the winter. The pond freezes over everywhere except where I keep one small 2500 gallon per hour pump pumping straight up through a 1.5” outflow. It keeps about a 4-6’ hole all winter to expel any gases. Not sure if this helps at all as I am definitely NOT an expert. Just learning as I go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks, everyone for the tips so far! My soil is primarily clay/shale so digging will take some time but that gives me the chance to do a ton of research and take my time to ensure everything is correct! Jumping ahead a little bit, but once the pond shape is completed, do I need to add any sand to the base to protect it from sharp rocks and will I have to cover the entire pond liner in stone?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks, everyone for the tips so far! My soil is primarily clay/shale so digging will take some time but that gives me the chance to do a ton of research and take my time to ensure everything is correct! Jumping ahead a little bit, but once the pond shape is completed, do I need to add any sand to the base to protect it from sharp rocks and will I have to cover the entire pond liner in stone?
Most just use a good underlayment of some sort. You can use old carpet w/o tacks, anything nice and thick. Sand will work too but I'd still put underlayment over that too as pokey things might work their way up through sand. You can buy real pond type underlayment too but I'm cheap and we have sandy soil w/o many rocks. I used towels, blankets, carpet, cardboard anything! Been good w/o holes for over 20 yrs now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I had to build my pond into the side of a very steep hill. It was a struggle because of all the roots from the trees. Also I could barely build shelves on the back side of the pond because the dirt would just collapse. I had to use concrete and build forms to make a shelf.
I don't think you should have any problems with your build. One could thing for a slope or steep hill is gravity when making a waterfall. My pond is almost complete. I have to make faux boulders in place around the waterfall.
Good luck with your pond and remember where there is a will there is a way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Let’s talk shelving. The deepest this pond will be is three feet. I am thinking of doing two shelves the first being 18 inches for various planting and keeping the liner in place and then dropping to two feet and finishing off at a depth of three feet. Would that be sufficient or do I need to reinvent my shelving plan?
IMG_0993.jpeg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
One drawback to consider with a dedicated shallow plant shelf is raccoons; considering that natural area in the picture. Gives them a shallow area to root around in and tip stuff over.

I did something similar but used the shelf for edge rocks which allows the pond level to fluctuate without exposing the liner and creates more of a drop off so they do not enter the pond. I do use spaces between the rocks for various plantings and some could be created to fit a pot if desired.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
One drawback to consider with a dedicated shallow plant shelf is raccoons; considering that natural area in the picture. Gives them a shallow area to root around in and tip stuff over.

I did something similar but used the shelf for edge rocks which allows the pond level to fluctuate without exposing the liner and creates more of a drop off so they do not enter the pond. I do use spaces between the rocks for various plantings and some could be created to fit a pot if desired.

That's a good point, forgot about the raccoons when I was focusing on the herons being enemy number one. Do you have any photos of your shelf? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how shelving should be incorporated for pond integrity and safety of the ponds inhabitants.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
This is from my forum showcase link and gives you some idea. You can see underlayment over the liner under the rocks. Helps protect it as the rocks take a bit of shifting to get in the best positions. I of course did not do it until after I caused a tear.

Once installed you can trim the underlayment as close as you can if desired. I left some of it since the fish like to hide under the edges.

Attachments

• Showcase rock pond.jpg
    Showcase rock pond.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ah, I see w
This is from my forum showcase link and gives you some idea. You can see underlayment over the liner under the rocks. Helps protect it as the rocks take a bit of shifting to get in the best positions. I of course did not do it until after I caused a tear.

Once installed you can trim the underlayment as close as you can if desired. I left some of it since the fish like to hide under the edges.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it has ben a busy summer for me and this post just got by me. at the bottom of my post are a couple links one is to my showcase that has all the lessons learned and what i would do differently. having a slope and then a area that flattens out is what a pond and water fall are made for.
youtube is full of examples and videos of pond build's in my showcase there are links to a few of the best i have seen and you can pick out parts from one to another that is pertinent to your build. take a look i think alot of your questions will be answered if you have not finished the build at this point

Ask a Question