Bulk Koi food

Don

Reaction score
I am fairly new at the ponding stuff and looking for a supplier for good quality bulk Koi food. I am in the Houston area. What do you suggest?

Don

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What kind are you looking for? brand name, protein %, I split a 40# bag with my dealer, he buys 6 bags at a time, I buy 20# and he bags up 10 -2# bags and it ends up running me about $50 for 40% protein 10% Fat 4% Fiber BLACKWATER Gold and Professional. I also use a mix in of Hikari Gold Color enhancing from early April until late Sept, Then I start weaning back and changing over to less protein and higher for for the winter. Finishing out at the end of the season with wheat germ. I found to get all the different foods I wanted to use it was easier to find someone that would split costs that wanted to use similar food products. My dealer has heated tanks so he feeds year round and I have to get wheat germ pellets myself but I get them from him as he has other customers that use them too.

Don

Reaction score
Ordered a 20# bag from Arthur Aquatics for $40. Here are the ingredients. What do you think?

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein.....Min. 36.0%
Crude Fat...........Min. 6.0%
Crude Fiber........Max. 5.0%
Phosphorus........Min. 0.75%

Ingredients: Wheat germ meal, fish meal, ground oats, dehydrated alfalfa, brewers dried yeast, soybean meal, dried sour whey, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cane molasses, dried beet pulp, wheat germ, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, calcium carbonate, menadione sodiuml bisulfite complex, DL-methionine, salt, folic acid, cholecalciferol, thimine mononitrate, soybean oil, riboflavin, DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, ethoxyquin, nicotinic acid, vitamin A acetate, choline chloride, vitamin B-12 supplement, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zonc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pretty cheap and the ingredients sound about the same as the Hikari. That's a decent protien and fat content for general growth. Not a bulking food but in most cases at least with the people on this site that's not a big issue. You'll see the people that show their koi going higher protien for faster growth and more bulk and mass on the body. For those of us that keep run of the mill koi in garden ponds were not really looking to get massive growth but actually more slower growth so we can enjoy them with the plants more.
I'm surprised you found decent quality for that price. Is that shipped? I pay a little more than that and I have to go to the dealer to get it. $5-$8 a pound isn't uncommon buying in 5# or less size containers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don said:
Orders over $40 are shipped free, so I also bought some pond treatment, partly to get the free shipping.

going to check them out! cheaper than buying food at petsmart. My goldies are turning into pigs.

Ask a Question