Build advise/ help

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Ok i may of got over excited when the liner came and filled up the pond without fullly thinking everything through..

So this is my pond now, im worried now is the back part with the steps too flat will water just run out there when it rains? Im worried about over flow..
What edging would people recommend, i was think maybe two brick height the whole way around and was gonna maybe put a little earth/garden at the back part by the stepps and some stones would that help with the risk of over flow?

Also anyone have a pump and filter theyd recommed going by the measurements I’ve been told I need water treatment for 370 gallons..

I’ll be putting 5 small fish in they are currently in a small preformed pond but think they deserve an upgrade.. prob should of put more planning into this before I filled it with water but gonna spend the weekend sorting it out a bit better..

Any recommendations/critiques greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• IMG_8266.jpeg
    IMG_8266.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
its not to late to do some homework and go digging for how to build a successful pond. i would strongly advice doing so. there is nothing worse than to build it and find out you cant get the design to work and your pulling out algae and green water every day and the fish won't live. below this text is a showcase with lessons leaned , its a bit more than what your trying to build but its all the same process

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Agree with @GBBUDD . At this point, you still have an empty slate….and your only limitations are the size of your liner and the amount of space you have to work with. What dimensions were you going for (dimensions and measurements)? Pond construction is not something I’m good at, but I can make a couple of suggestions. Personally, I would make it more rectangular. I would also use dirt to build a berm around the perimeter of the pond — pack it down well so it doesn’t collapse. Pull the liner over that berm. You don’t want the edges of your pond to be at or below ground level — this will keep outside water and run off out of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thank you both for your repliesyes I’ve been doing a lot of searching googling the last few days. I’ve been playing with it a bit today.. and put bricks underneath the liner and underlay to raise it a bit. Thinking doing that the whole way around now to raise it above ground level…

Attachments

• IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You want to make shelf below the water level so when you place your rocks they sit in the water on the shelf but are taller than the berm or add a second layer of rock and have that taller that the berm bend the between the rock and the berm. This keeps water in the pond and keeps ground runoff out of the pond
Notes_240824_104657.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yeah, don't move the fish in yes, you need to figure things out. So I like using external things that flow in. My bogs are in Resin Pots that spill over into the pond. I also mix up lots of things. Decide now if you want a bottom drain. They aren't popular here, but I like mine. I have a skimmer and bottom drain, each with their own pumps and drain systems. If you can use multiple small pumps, it's pretty cheap to run these things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, don't move the fish in yes, you need to figure things out. So I like using external things that flow in. My bogs are in Resin Pots that spill over into the pond. I also mix up lots of things. Decide now if you want a bottom drain. They aren't popular here, but I like mine. I have a skimmer and bottom drain, each with their own pumps and drain systems. If you can use multiple small pumps, it's pretty cheap to run these things.
Spoken Iike someone who is not paying ct electric rates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Spoken Iike someone who is not paying ct electric rates.
Fair, our rates are now. I use two 45W pumps, which is approximate 1 kWH/day, each. That's 60 kWH/month for both.

At Florida's 14 c/kHw, that $8.40/month. In Ct that's $14.71/month.

Ask a Question