Brown "tea" water and beige/grey residue on granite waterfall, stream, spillway and pond liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
This spring my 25 year old 1500 gal. pond looked like tea for the first time. I'm used to string and one cell algae, but this is different. I have emptied the pond and scrubbed it completely three times. It starts out crystal clear and within days It begins turning brown. I have used recommended products for tea water. The pond chemistry is good. I emptied it again and the enclosed pics illustrate the beige residue which requires a lot of scrubbing to remove. I'm used to green slime, but this is so different! I have a pond vac, and there is very little detritus collected.
I am desperate for input and advice
Thank you
Gadya

Attachments

• IMG_20240602_121801189_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240602_121801189_HDR.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240602_121821961_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240602_121821961_HDR.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240602_121936158_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240602_121936158_HDR.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240602_122037897_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240602_122037897_HDR.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 27

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What has been new recently with your pond, since it sounds like an established pond? Sometimes something as simple as fish that have grown or had babies and added to the bioload can disrupt the balance. Did you add any chemicals such as algecides?

What filtration do you have? How many fish?

Tea colored water usually indicates tannins, like from tree branches, acorns, etc.

We don’t usually recommend scrubbing out ponds, as this disrupts the balance of beneficial bacteria that inhabit the pond. You want that beneficial stuff to stay in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could there be wild fires in your area or not in your area but the trade winds are blowing your way?

as to the white that algae probably beneficial algae that has dried out and died thus white

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What has been new recently with your pond, since it sounds like an established pond? Sometimes something as simple as fish that have grown or had babies and added to the bioload can disrupt the balance. Did you add any chemicals such as algecides?

What filtration do you have? How many fish?

Tea colored water usually indicates tannins, like from tree branches, acorns, etc.

We don’t usually recommend scrubbing out ponds, as this disrupts the balance of beneficial bacteria that inhabit the pond. You want that beneficial stuff to stay in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Changing out all the water won't kill the fish. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water. That grows on hard surfaces like filter media.

@Gadya, you are treating the symptom and not the cause. You need to find the reason for the colored water. Are things like leaves blowing into the pond, or does water run into it from your yard?

I, too, am wondering about your filtration. As fish grow and produce more waste and we feed them more, they can outgrow the filtration that used to be enough. You may just need to increase the filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are 10 goldfish. I have a rigid biofilter and net in skimmer box. Extra food is caught in net. The pond chemical values are always good.
For years I struggled with string and blanket algae. Have used Pondzyme, microlift Pondclear, and algaelift etc. Last summer placed two canopy tents over pond and waterfall stream for shade.

Things were good until this spring, when the water turned brown. Yes there are seeds and other detritus, which I net out or use a pond vac. I did the test of placing pond water in a bucket for a few days to see if it was silt or tannins. The result was relatively clear water with a bit of silt. I tried numerous bags of activated charcoal to no avaiI .

This spring it turned brown and as I mentioned I have emptied and scrubbed 4 times. It is a slimy reddish brown and there is not a lot of detritus on the bottom. When it dries on the waterfall and flat rocks in te stream and on the rubber liner, it turns a beigy grey and even a stark white color.

I expect that the water will be turning brown and sliming up with the week. Did you see the first enclosed pics? The ones enclosed are when it was drained. You can see the slime and the dried grey areas, and then the crystal clear result.

Please help
Gadya

Attachments

• IMG_20240603_144004072_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240603_144004072_HDR.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240603_165616635.jpg
    IMG_20240603_165616635.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have done a lot of work trying to deal with this and have tried some good ideas. Sorry that nothing has worked for you.

Where are you located?

Are you using well water? Could there be iron bacteria in the water? Do you have hard water? Is this a problem only with the pond or does it also affect your household water?

I suspect the white reside is possibly mineral deposits from hard water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have done a lot of work trying to deal with this and have tried some good ideas. Sorry that nothing has worked for you.

Where are you located?

Are you using well water? Could there be iron bacteria in the water? Do you have hard water? Is this a problem only with the pond or does it also affect your household water?

I suspect the white reside is possibly mineral deposits from hard water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. It is well water, BUT we have an iron filter, calcium filter/ water softener. The white only showed up after the brown sludge dried.

I wish there were some more input from the forum. Since charcoal seems to be the go to solution but not for this.
Do you know anyone else to consult?
Gadya

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello- I looked at the photo you posted . Is it possible you are getting runoff from a low edge ? It looks like the sides of the pond are close to ground level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are others here that could be of help, but you may need to wait until they are able to respond.

You might also post on koiphen.com. there are some chemists and others on that side that may be able to help you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello- I looked at the photo you posted . Is it possible you are getting runoff from a low edge ? It looks like the sides of the pond are close to ground level.
The liner is under the flat stones, and I have never noticed water running in. In reading about tannins, I understand there would be some muck or sludge at bottom of pond, but is it also accompanied by slime all over the liner, the stream and the stream rocks? It is a brownish red color. Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking at the construction of the pond.As was mentioned the liner appears to be flush with the grade. And then the rocks sit on that little berm if any can be seen. I also suspect this could be one of the contributers.

Ask a Question