Brown algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first pond build and it is about 8 weeks old. It has a dyi intake bay that skims the top but pulls the water through about 24” of rock and gravel (approx 2’x4’ in size) then discharges into the bottom of a bog filter about 9’x3’ and 18” deep and then water falls back into the pond over rocks. To decrease the water flow through the bog I split the discharge and allow some of that water to flow over the top of the bog to have a better waterfall effect. (Thanks to threads on this forum and a shout out to OZPonds for ideas)

My issue is the algae that is forming is brown not green. My pH is high 8.4-9.0 but I am on a well and that is the pH from the source. So I don’t think I can or should do anything about that. I could find much info on google except for just a few comments that it is bad. I have done the clear glass water test and the water is clear and not floating. You can see in my pictures the pond is clear, fish seem healthy and the minnows are propagating like rabbits.

Do I need to be concerned? Do I just clean it off from time to time as in ways it makes my pond seem brown. Pictures seem to make things a little greener than the brown it appears naturally.

Attachments

• IMG_5057.jpeg
    IMG_5057.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5055.jpeg
    IMG_5055.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5054.jpeg
    IMG_5054.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4910.jpeg
    IMG_4910.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 12

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bird welcome 99.gif
@Livingblessed
Your pond looks great to me! The algae on all the rocks and sides of your pond is a good thing. Don't scrape it off! it's mostly the long stringy type of algae that bothers ponders.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Very nice spot you have there.

Agreed, leave the pH alone, will be fine. Brown algae, probably diatoms, not a problem either, green algae will likely develop as the pond matures given appropriate light.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for easing the thoughts that I should be concerned. When I think algae I think green not brown but will let it continue to mature. I am in Arizona and it has been brutally hot since I finished. The last few day have been moderate so part of me thought heat and new means stress on bio system. I have been adding beneficial bacteria along the way and I am sure that will help the pond mature.

Thanks again for helping out a newbie!

Ask a Question