Brown Algae? Waste/Debris? Biofilm?

Reaction score
Country
United States
TL;DR : History of changes below for diagnostics, but mainly trying to understand if I should leave the “scum”on the rocks (biofilm, waste, or just algae variety?) or vacuum it up (potentially messing w its cycle or balance)?

Looks like high ph and some phosphates, but otherwise nothing wild? Water clarity is great. Total Dissolved Solids number ranges low and only 115-146 in diff areas. (Actually lower than our tap at 197’ish)

I’d prefer to vacuum off the rocks but will leave if it messes with the cycle or balance, but was looking for more experienced opinions.
———————-
Newer pond owner still working on balance in our somewhat recently self-renovated pond.
Main changes were addition of a bog and lots of plants. We have no fish (intended) and basically a wildlife pond for our billion birds, frogs, deer, ducks, snakes, etc.

Starting from inheritance from the prior owners and through the end of last year when I finished the reno/added plants, and until a little over a month ago, it was an algae mess. The main basin had gone wild enough with algae attached to rocks I drained/bleached it a number of times last year. We used API Algaefix and Tetrapond Algae Control (Poly [Oxyethylene (Dimethyliminio) Ethylene (Dimethyliminio) Ethylene Dichloride]) last year and early this year with good results, but still a desire to be chemical-free.

Intermediary problem of transitioning through “new pond syndrome,” after algaecides and getting enough bacteria and biofilms going to create some balance, but all the plants are thriving so it was time to pull the chemical-baindaid. Water has been changed and only tap/rain since May. There were a few struggles and lots of vacuuming algae, but it hit some point of stability recently (with the few remaining nags of this post). Last fertilizer tabs went in around early May. Have pretty regularly used Aquascape beneficial bacteria.

Since- Was vacuuming long green algae weekly in different pockets where water flow seemed weaker, but production is somewhat slowed to immediate area around rocks.
Went on a week vacation mid July to come home to a half full pond (root growth caused water level increase/ leakage) and pond very full of long string algaes pond.
Vacuumed and used bristle ybrush to grab algae attached to rocks, refilled, then ignored it another week and it started to stabilize with less green algae but a different brown “algae” covering cover most of the smaller rocks. Sucks up easy with vacuum but impossible to grab with a brush (all just fluffy stuff)

Not experienced enough to know if this is a new/diff algae I haven’t experienced yet, debris/waste combo, or “biofilm” everyone talks about.
Zoom into the pics for a better view of the brown fluffy stuff.

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1762.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Perfectly normal. I fear your goal is "pool" clean not "pond" clean. You want the rocks covered with growth, which will take on many forms over the course of a season. And a certain amount of that powedery, fine debris you mentioned is also normal as organic materials break down in the pond.

Walk away from the chemistry experiment; allow your pond to mature and just observe.

Ask a Question