Bog dwelling time

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
Wrapping up my first pond build and am questioning my bog filter flow rate. The bog is connected to the pond by a 30 foot stream that I want between 6-7000gph through. The bog is 500 gallons (10’ by 7’ by 1’) and 40% of the ponds surface area. I have a tee fitting and ball valve right at the surface of the bog before it runs down into the manifold. My goal was to redirect some of the water before it hits the bog in order to gain a longer dwelling time in the bog. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be working as well as I would’ve liked and the bog is still getting around 5000gph. This means the bog is circulating close to every 5 minutes. Will this be too fast for the biological filtration? I plan on under stocking my pond (8-10 koi). Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be a fast flow rate, how big is the pond?

Take a a looks at Ozponds he has some good videos and talks about dwell times in bogs, If I recall he suggest 10 -15 mins

Also a lot of your bog will be pebbles and gravel so the actual about of water may 1/2 of that. I use a similar flow rate but my bog is 4 times bigger (actually it's 4 times deeper).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cat fat.gif
@Sodadispencer

Ask a Question