Bio-filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I just purchased a new bio -filter. I have not yet installed it, as I want to make sure it will be the appropriate size for my need. I have a small home made pond ( rubber liner and about 300 gallons). We have 7 large Koi and feed them almost daily during feeding season. The bio- filter I purchased is the VIVOHOME Pressurized Biological Pond Filter, 1840 GPH. Is this a fine enough Bio-Filter, or is there something more appropriate I should consider?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomektpjaws.gif
@Becca
7 large koi in a 300 gal pond to me seems like an issue. I don't have koi, just goldfish but have heard the people here that do say that maybe 500 or more gals are needed for just one koi. Hopefully someone w/koi will chime in here to help you.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree. After raising koi and selling them for over 20 years your pond is too small. You need to start building a bigger pond before you start having issues.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like the size of the bio filter is adequate for 300 gallons, but I can’t speak to the filter itself (no experience with pressurized filters), expect to say that with koi…..you need the most filtration possible! Agree with the others that 300 gallons is too small for even one koi. Just curious, but could you show us some pics of your current setup?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome Becca...Hopefully someone with bio filter knowledge will chime in. Good that you are concerned. You might think about rehoming your koi and purchasing Shubunkin goldfish (they are so very colorful and grow large). Koi put out A LOT of waste and 300 gallons is not even big enough for one. Hopefully you have a liquid test kit, if you don't you will need to purchase one. Your koi must be on the small side if you aren't seeing any problems so far, but unless you build a much bigger pond right away you will soon enough. This is probably not what you were hoping to hear but I am sure you want the best for your koi...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1 koi should have 1000 galons of water a second requires 500 gallons ontop of the 1000 etc etc so by the rule of thumb 7 LARGE koi should be in 4000 gallons

Ask a Question