Are these toad eggs from Cane toads?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw these strings of eggs wrapping around my pond piping. For scale these are 1-1/2" PVC pipes.

IMG_20240904_161045.jpg

IMG_20240904_161056.jpg

IMG_20240904_161109.jpg

and on the same day I have one of my gold fish died, it's about 2.5" long. The other gold fish are still active, so I don't know if that fish died of eating these eggs, and from my understanding these strings of eggs are from toads, and with the eggs being black in color a high probability these are from cane toads whose eggs and tadpoles are poisonous to fish or any animals that eat them?

So I scoped out as much of it as I can...still have some in unreachable areas as well as below the bridge...

IMG_20240904_161205.jpg

IMG_20240904_162437.jpg

IMG_20240904_162610.jpg

I don't know if my other gold fish have eaten this. Is it possible to confirm is these are cane toad eggs?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t think you can confirm what they are until they reach a certain stage of larval development. I used to have a chart where you could compare and contrast things like mouth parts, gills, location of eyes……and there are a bunch of amphibious morphological differences to look for. I captured some taddies from a horse pasture that got flooded by heavy rains. I grew them out in a tank so it was super easy to get good, closeup observations. They turned out to be Spotted Southern Leoprd frogs. I returned the survivors to the original horse pasture.

I can’t find that specific site, there are numerous sites…..just search something like “compare and identify tadpoles,” keeping in mind your part of the country in your search.

Ask a Question