Aerator to keep pond from freezing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi all, I have been using (for the past 2 years) a large aerator a friend gave me that was from a pond that was probably a few acres big and who knows how deep. I think it is way way overkill for my little pond that is only about 1250 gallons. And about 2’ deep at the deepest point (dang tree roots) the pump is kind of noisy really makes a little volcano on the surface of the water. Too much but even with this the surface still freezes to a hole the size of a tennis ball when it gets really cold. I want to buy a new one that is smaller, quieter, uses less electricity and is more appropriate for my little pond but when I’m looking online I don’t know if the ones I’m seeing that say they are good for a pond that’s x number of gallons means they will keep it from freezing or just that they will bubble like an aquarium bubbler. (Which I don’t think would keep the pond open).
Some of the aerators I’m seeing that say they will do a 1000 gallon pond just look like oversized aquarium ones) can someone tell me what specifications to look for to insure I get something that of not to small or weak but not expensive either. I’m considering this one

The one I have looks like this one
But mine is really old and not exactly the same

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Using an aerator to keep a hole open in winter isn’t the same as providing air to the water column — 2 different applications. I can’t advise, because we don’t get freezes here. But what I have done and seen done is to use something like a pool noodle to make a donut. Suspend the airstone from the noodle so it doesn’t sit on the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The goal is to keep a hole in the ice to allow gas exchange. Your pond is shallow for your hardiness zone. I wouldn't use a massive air pump. I used both a Laguna and also a pond bubbler to keep a hole in the ice in my ponds back when living in the tundra. Not sure why the pond bubblers are no longer for sale. They worked well and were very economical. The Laguna kicked on at 35 Degrees F and then cycled on an off as needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will only buy posting driven air pumps. They are night and day over bladder pumps for noise , strength and durability. For a 1200 gallon pond a nitto 40 should do the job . And in the winter if your holes does disappear on the extreme cold naps just remember your pumping air in under the ice if the air is going it it has to be getting out somehow. Which is all that's needed just to allow the co2 and ammonia to get out

Ask a Question