Adequate filtration system

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dear fellow pond enthusiasts,

I’m currently planning the filtration system for my pond and am seeking your valued advice.

I’d like to know if a bottom drainage is considered essential for a healthy pond ecosystem, or if it’s possible to maintain good water quality without one. The pond is about 10 meters (32 feet 9.7 inches) long and 8 meters (26 feet 3 inches) wide, with an average depth of about 80 centimeters (2 feet 7.5 inches), and a deep hole of 1 meter 50 (4 feet 11 inches).

I’m weighing up two options for my pump setup: A regular pump that is submerged in the water (slower flow) or a pump on land with a hose to the pond. Which of these methods do you find more effective for clear and healthy water?

I’m also wondering whether a sieve filter is necessary for the system, or if pumping the water directly to a bog filter would be adequate. I have a limited budget and no experience, so I’m looking for the cheapest and easiest system to install that would still be adequate to run a healthy pond.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it depends on the aesthetics you are going for. BD’s and sieves certainly have their place, but they aren’t necessary. We tend to see those more with the dedicated koi pond folks, who want an impeccably pristine pond. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that — it simply a choice. We have members on here with either or both, so hopefully you’ll get some insight there.

Most of us use bogs. A properly set up bog provides more than adequate filtration….as well as clean, healthy water. Plants are great at balancing out the nitrogen cycle.

Clean, healthy water with adequate filtration is always your goal.

But keep in mind that crystal clear water isn’t the same thing as clean, healthy water. Type of fish you keep, filtration, stocking levels, feeding routine, aeration…..among other things will determine how healthy your water is.

My advice: do research about the NITROGEN CYCLE and how it factors into keeping your fish healthy and happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My impression is that the submersible pumps are less efficient in terms of power consumption. I think the effect on clarity is going to depend only on volume and type of filtration, not the type of pump per se.

Personally I have one pump running from a skimmer to a waterfall filter, and a second pump from a retro bottom drain going to a bioball-filled canister filter (with UV) and then continuing into a bog type gravel filter. Also, plants. 25' circular pond, about 4.5' deep at the center, so maybe similar volume to what you are describing. Both my pumps are on land. The water is not crystal but I can clearly see the bottom.

I arrived at this setup gradually since I also started with no experience. So I don't know that it is optimal but it seems to be in a reasonable place now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just built my first pond. I filled it at the end of February. I used the Aquascape ecosystem pond method, so no bottom drain. I have a skimmer with the pump inside it and it sends the water to the biofalls. That's the only plumbing. The combination of rocks, plants, fish and beneficial bacteria maintain high water quality. I have had crystal clear water since day one. I do have an auto-doser which drips beneficial bacteria into the water. It is a very simple system and from the videos I have watched, easily scalable to much larger ponds. Mine is only about 15' in diameter and about 2 feet deep in the middle. Also from what I have seen in all the Aquascape videos, the only time they position the pump externally is when it is what they call a "Recreational Pond", which means one that people will regularly swim in, so it is a safety requirement to have the electrically powered pump outside to the water.

I am still a bit new to the water feature world, but I have watched a ton of videos and just built my first pond, and from what I have learned so far, Aquascape has really worked out a foolproof system for building and maintaining water features.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
KISS was my operating principle for my pond: sound, fish, plants and little maintenance were all mandatory.
I have a submerged pump which feeds a 4x9x2' bog (https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...upflow-filter-eco-filter-wetland-filter.6894/ ) from approx. 1500 gallon pond. That's pretty simple. Plumbing is within the liner. I also have aerators on a nightly timer.
Maintenance includes netting the pond each fall for 3 or 4 months, occasional vacuuming, plant tidying, swishing the toilet brush around for string algae every few days.
Originally I had water above the bog gravel but it became very congested with string algae and bazillions of tadpoles so now the water is just beneath the surface.

Ask a Question