6oz versus 8oz underlayment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all.

I'm looking to geotextile to protect my liner from a top layer of mortared stone. While shopping, I came across an 8oz geotextile. I think of 6oz as being industry-standard...

Based off the inspiration photos below...should I go with 8oz? I have no concept of how protective 6oz or 8oz will be, even having watched countless videos. Worth noting, only the walls/sides will be the mortared stone. The seats and bottom will be flagstone and smaller gravel, like the attached photo below (with the blue tone to it, with words in the frame). Stones are 3-5" thick and ~9" in length, KS garden edging.

Seems like 6oz will be fine but thought I'd poll before I pulled the trigger.

TYIA!

IMG_0457.jpeg

IMG_5949.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6 oz you cut cut with a utility knife and only need to replace the blade 3 times in the course of a days work. 8oz you will need to replace the blade after a 39 feet cut. . Night and day. I will only use 8 oz unless I have nothing but sand going against the liner.
8 oz is good stuff but if you have Sharpe granite lots of roots etc. You can step up even higher to 10 orc12 oz those are crazy tough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6 oz you cut cut with a utility knife and only need to replace the blade 3 times in the course of a days work. 8oz you will need to replace the blade after a 39 feet cut. . Night and day. I will only use 8 oz unless I have nothing but sand going against the liner.
8 oz is good stuff but if you have Sharpe granite lots of roots etc. You can step up even higher to 10 orc12 oz those are crazy tough
Thanks for the clear response! I’ll order 8oz today.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question