35 gallon pond need advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok , bought a 35 gal container , roughly 36" wide x 14" H ...

We bought a fountain for it , works good , but girlfriend decided to put fish in it , just 8 goldfish, after 3 days it's obvious it needs filtration , she bought a pump/fountain/filter device , but , it is way too powerful for this little pond.

Since we have a fountain that works nice , is there a straight on filter pump I guess , that we can use that is an appropriate size for our little pond ?

Also ,best de-chlorinization tablets or whatever...

Thanks in Advance...

Dan N8DCJ

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
First of all - not a pond in the true sense. So many of the standards of ponding do not apply here. And I'm not dissing your patio pond - I have one myself and love it.

You shouldn't need a filter for this size container BUT you also can't put eight fish in 35 gallons of water. This volume of water is good for one or two goldfish - if you have a plan for where they will go after they get too big. Ours spend one summer in the patio pond and then move to the big pond.

Do you have plants? Those are really the best filtration for a container water gardening set up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t Know about the filter, but there’s ones at Petsmart you can buy that might be more appropriate for a smaller tank.
As for getting rid of chlorine, I use a stress coat and neutralizer by API together since my fish love the stuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all - not a pond in the true sense. So many of the standards of ponding do not apply here. And I'm not dissing your patio pond - I have one myself and love it.

You shouldn't need a filter for this size container BUT you also can't put eight fish in 35 gallons of water. This volume of water is good for one or two goldfish - if you have a plan for where they will go after they get too big. Ours spend one summer in the patio pond and then move to the big pond.

Do you have plants? Those are really the best filtration for a container water gardening set up.
Lisa

Thanks for the input , it was cloudy after two days , girlfriend has water plants coming this weekend , I hate to say this , but my assumption was half of these little guys won't make it , they are about 2" , if they get too big we do have a friend who can take them ...

Dan

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
@n8dcj
They should be ok for awhile. Good you have someone in mind for when they get too large. Does your water dept use chlorine or are you on a well. If chlorine you will need drops to remove it. Pretty much most kinds will work from online or pet store. Hope you didn't put the fish in before you got the chlorine remover or else maybe you let the water sit for a day or so?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I probably use the same container as a quarantine tank and it was my first "pond" too. What I do for filtration is a small fountain pump (150 gph or so) stuck in a planting container (open sides) and filled with media of some sort. It does the trick for a few fish, but eight does sound like a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For a small pond like yours, a less powerful filter pump would be ideal. Look for one with adjustable flow so you can control the intensity. Brands like TetraPond and Laguna offer compact, adjustable pumps that should suit your setup well. For de-chlorination, Seachem Prime is a popular and effective choice. It removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia. Just follow the dosage instructions, and you should be good to go.
Ok , bought a 35 gal container , roughly 36" wide x 14" H ...

We bought a fountain for it , works good , but girlfriend decided to put fish in it , just 8 goldfish, after 3 days it's obvious it needs filtration , she bought a pump/fountain/filter device , but , it is way too powerful for this little pond.

Since we have a fountain that works nice , is there a straight on filter pump I guess , that we can use that is an appropriate size for our little pond ?

Also ,best de-chlorinization tablets or whatever...

Thanks in Advance...

Dan N8DCJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 164270@n8dcj
They should be ok for awhile. Good you have someone in mind for when they get too large. Does your water dept use chlorine or are you on a well. If chlorine you will need drops to remove it. Pretty much most kinds will work from online or pet store. Hope you didn't put the fish in before you got the chlorine remover or else maybe you let the water sit for a day or so?
Jw , yes municipal water , however it was in with a fountain going for 3 days before we put the fish in , so far they seem to be doing OK, been 4 days

Reaction score
Country
United States
For a small pond like yours, a less powerful filter pump would be ideal. Look for one with adjustable flow so you can control the intensity. Brands like TetraPond and Laguna offer compact, adjustable pumps that should suit your setup well. For de-chlorination, Seachem Prime is a popular and effective choice. It removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia. Just follow the dosage instructions, and you should be good to go.
Jon

Thanks for the input , will definitely check those products out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I probably use the same container as a quarantine tank and it was my first "pond" too. What I do for filtration is a small fountain pump (150 gph or so) stuck in a planting container (open sides) and filled with media of some sort. It does the trick for a few fish, but eight does sound like a lot.
Eric

That is an interesting idea , I may be able to configure something with our current way too big , filter/fountain , to filter , but limit the currents etc... in the water , this pump I bet in a 100+ gallon would be great .

Ask a Question