311's diy very small bog filter

Reaction score
So I recently collected some water hyacinths and have been keeping them in my 55 gallon long aquarium with alotta reef salt to kill any undesirable after looking at it for a bit I don't want it to over grow my pond so I'm gonna built a bog filter connected from my main diy filter its gonna be 2 -4 5 gallon palm pots sealed water tight connected by pvc then into the pond will post pics as progress happens

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess they are an aggressive plant there but you could always take the extras out when you get to many but would add shade to your pond and keep it cleaner

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They grow fast but I use them to shade the pond, I just pull them out if they start to grow too many. I put them in my mulch pit and mulch them up.

Reaction score
I have lilies in my pond and plan to get more information don't like free floating plants in my pond they hold food and tree crap in their crevecies making netting the top aggravating I got shade covered plus in my opinion haiycin. Are ugly I might use walmart minnow net to keep more in the pond corner if needed plus I like building things

Reaction score
Question. How long till water clears up in a new pond I understand the cycling process its starting to green up assuming this is a natural part of pond cycling or is it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4-8 weeks, some add ammonia to help it along, some add some small feeder fish. Some add beneficial bacteria to help out the cycle process.

Reaction score
I added feeder golds well I didnt but they got put n also used seeded filter media from established bacteria also used quick start cycling products would ammonia removing media help with ammonia spike

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always just turned on my pond and waited it out, adding very few fish. Get that bacteria going. I never had the green water syndrome with the bog, when I fired up this pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
4-8 weeks, some add ammonia to help it along, some add some small feeder fish. Some add beneficial bacteria to help out the cycle process.
Some repeatedly drain and refill the pond!
Why are you in such a big hurry? A little patience and things will work themselves out!!
John

Ask a Question